What to look for when buying a Civic

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

nbdzhro

I'm looking at picking up a 92 CX hatch. The price is a steal and cosmetically it looks good the engine turns over but I haven't driven it. Needs some minor bodywork to the sparetire well where someone rearended it and dented the well but not the body. It has 150k on the odometer and I will be lookin at puttin a B16 motor in it asap.

Any opinions or advise on things to check before I seal the deal?

Thanks in advance....

look for oil leaks, or leaks of any sort. check all wiring. check the cv half shafts for ripped/torn boots. check wheel wells/ underbody for bottoming out. basically check for any kind of abuse to the vehicle. try to get some maintenence records with it as well.

Appreciate the advise but since this is to be my first Honda. I was looking for more model specific advise..IE when lookin at an old school Bug you always check the floorpans.

Thanks

I wouldn't be really that concerned with the motor since you plan on swapping a new motor into it, just depends if you plan on riding the original motor for a while or not. I would look for rust, dents, etc, condition of paint.

If your keeping AC, make sure that works find, also the PS should be checked if you plan on keeping it after the future swap. Other than that just drive it around and the car should give you a decent idea if anything needs to be replaced.

The Cx is a good car it is my first car and its the lightest out of the models from 92-95 and it also has the least amount of options but its still a good car i have a 93 Civic Hatch Cx and the only thing i can tell u is that the brakes suck, they have rear drums so if u plan on doing any work to that B16 i suggest a brake upgrade to go along with it but other than that itz a good car.

Oh yea and check for suspension damage because my boy bought a 92 Cx and took it to honda for a check up and it turns out that not one but ALL of his Control Arms were shot!!!!!!!

also check for rust/rust repair on the rear quarter panels-hatches and other civic seem to be notorious for rust right above the wheel well because water gets trapped between the splash guard and the body panel

I would look for rust, dents, etc, condition of paint.

..... since you have plans for a swap already, it's always nice to know that the car shell (body) will hold .....

Thanks for all the advise. I got the HB to my Mechanic and the rear damage was more than originally thought the rear suspension was bowed from the impact. So that car is out for a starter vehicle.

I do however have a lead on a 94 EX Coupe with the 1.6 Vtec for $1500 but it needs a Tranny and a front fender. 175K on the motor any opinions?

yea def check the rear quarter panels for rust......i bought mine with rust and was told by many itd be easy to fix and cheap.....five months later im still here today with rust that wont go away with the bondo work ive done and too poor to afford being able to cut.

well the mileage all depends on your plans for the car- if you wanna boost then that motor prolly isn't a goodplace to start- if you're just looking for a commuter car and that motor was well taken care of, you might have it for a while- but if you wanna get serious about performance you're gonna have to do a swap- there is no sense in doing a lot of work to a motor that is 175k miles old IMO

Back