what to look for

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

cxjon

i m picking up a dx motor real cheap basicly for the tranny. the guy said he swapped it out cuz it burned oil....

so what i want to know what are the main problems the lead to that?

is it anything to do with the head?

what i am getting at is that my car is an cx which is 8 valve which is ral slow and the dx is 16 valve. i have looked in to the possablity of doing as mini me to the cx and found out the cx and dx have the same piston part numbers which make a mini me possible. what i am thinking of doing is throwing the dx head on since i m getting it cheap as hell kinda like the all motor hf artical that chet wrote about the hf crx.

i still have some parts for the minin me laying around like a d16y8 manifold and my b16sir2 tb.... i can also get a d16a6 cam cheap as hell

any ideas or help that would be great

thanks

jon

I dont believe so just by taking the head off and looking at it, try a compression test.

Do a leakdown test. You'll either have to buy a tester and have a compressor, or take the motor to a shop that has that stuff. Basically, you put the plugs in, turn the #1 cylinder to TDC on the compression stroke, and pressurize the combustion chamber with air. The gauges on the tester will tell you what percentage it's leaking, and you can listen to various parts of the engine to tell where it's leaking.

Hissing from the oil fill cap= bad rings.
Hissing from the intake ports (or throttle body if the manifold is on)= bad intake valve seats.
Hissing from the exhaust ports= bad exhaust valve seats.

A compression test just tells you if it's leaking. A leakdown test tells you where it's leaking.

Yes. You can turn the crank by hand to get each piston to TDC on compression. Other than that and the plugs in their holes, you don't need anything else.

hopefully the head is good and i can use it :D all this idea is going to cost me is the price of the haed gasket.

It should be. If it was buring oil, it was most likely the rings. While you have the head off, at least have it steam cleaned and throw in some new valve guide seals and a new cam seal.

you should be able to do a compression test with the motor out of the car. people do it when they want to check out a motor that they are interested in buying. also, places that buy motors do it when purchasing from their suppliers to make sure the engine is in good condition.

Listen to Loco, test it out of the car. That is how 99% of the people selling motors online check before they send shit out.

Milan

yo, whoever the fucker is that is selling you the motor is probably a real dick and you should just go to his house and kick him in the balls :nutkick:

at any rate, I had been meaning to ask you about the whole head swap idea you had but kept forgeting
would you actually gain anything as far as power goes if you put the head off my motor onto the block of yours? it seems like it would just be alot of extra work

IMO, it has been a reliable engine for the last 2 years for me and since you just want it for a temp engine anyway I'd just leave it as is and through it in and go
it's ready to rock as is, just gotta keep an eye on the oil level

see you around 4

if it was burning oil from the head, wouldn't it be burning coolant too? if the head was warped or something it would be spilling both instead of just oil. its gotta be the rings. i say do the head swap.

Back