what to run this year for autox...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

posol

RETIRED
i was tlaking to chip this morning over e-mail.... i just can't seem to decide what i want to do...

here's a snipit of my email to him...

I got the hatch working again, and i picked up a head package for it too.. portflow valvetrain, skunk2 stage 2 cams, skunk2 intake manifold, etc etc... that should put my GSR's power level over that of the ITR (the cams are larger than itr profiles). but, i would like to bump the compression when i do it too. the cams should be in the mid 11:1's to low 12:1's, but my motor is only 10.6:1. swapping a head on is an afternoon afair. ripping out pistons, getting the new ones pressed on the wrist pins and so on, is not.
i think i can run in street mod with all this and azenis.
but, it needs brakes bad. bill took it out the other day and he over heated them on the street just driving around.
and the shocks are shot. i really would like to put all that together before autox, but i don't think i have the time, nor the money this month. which is because of option #2...

the sti.

stock, it runs in a-stock, which is an impossible class IMO. i don't really stand a chance. I don't know the car at all. its night and day driving it compared the the hatchback.
it's also brand new, and i kinda feel bad beating on it.

plus, i don't think i'm going to fit good with a helmet in there. the roof handel is like right there and would definitley rub/hit my head. plus its my daily driver. i'd like to keep it kind of nice.

which makes me lean back towards the hatchabck...

and then, there's the del sol in the garage with a fresh b16 80% installed. lol
i gotta finish that thing and sell it to give me space in the garage to do all this work :)

and then i get to thinking, hrm... i got Tein HA's on it just sitting there collecting dust while its up on jackstands... which will bolt right on to the hatch...
and the strut tower bars...
hell, the 4-wheel brembo disc brakes i put on it... will all fit onto the hatch. but then i have two cars up in the air and no place to do anything. and a complete trailing arm, prop. valuve and so on brake swap is not something i had in mind... damn cars.... lol

damn, i'm rambling...

time for lunch :)

go with the hatch; switch the suspension and git er dun!!! you'll have more fun and it wont take you that long to swap everything out..... good luck

take the shit off the sol and put it on the hatch... Leave the STi alone.

Strip as much off the sol as you can, and take less for it... helps to price it for quick sale.

go with the hatch....

I've heard rumors that if Suberu finds out you raced the car...anywhere, anyhow...that they void any warrenty work to the car...

heres your issues - hatch has more horse but no lsd
so either swap lsd/ suspension and every thing over from sol to the hatch or swap the gsr over to the sol - and suspension and sell the hatch - i think the sol with gsr swap lsd b16 tranny would be nice for auto x high reving close gearing + lsd to help you out - i like the sols more than hatches - only hatches of course are lighter ! - up to you its all preferance and work- but the out come is what you are looking for the most isnt it -

i say the hatch and go all out. like someone else said take as much as you can off the sol and put it on the hatch. maybe not even register the hatch and make it a track only car.

Originally posted by Airjockie+Mar 7 2005, 01:46 PM-->
go with the hatch....

I've heard rumors that if Suberu finds out you raced the car...anywhere, anyhow...that they void any warrenty work to the car...
[post=470304]Quoted post[/post]​

that's mitsubishi. subaru actually offered an SCCA membership as part of the buying of the car.

Originally posted by asmallsol@Mar 7 2005, 01:51 PM
why not get the sol running, and race in DSP and sell the hatch?
[post=470309]Quoted post[/post]​

not a chance. the del sol sucks compared to the hatch in terms of
a- head room
b- chassis
c- the body is actually decent on it, and ill get shit for the hatch, but could get some good cash for the sol

Originally posted by b204dr@Mar 7 2005, 01:54 PM
heres your issues - hatch has more horse but no lsd
so either swap lsd/ suspension and every thing over from sol to the hatch or swap the gsr over to the sol - and suspension and sell the hatch - i think the sol with gsr swap lsd b16 tranny would be nice for auto x high reving close gearing + lsd to help you out - i like the sols more than hatches - only hatches of course are lighter ! - up to you its all preferance and work- but the out come is what you are looking for the most isnt it -
[post=470310]Quoted post[/post]​

i don't have a single LSD on either car. i don't know where you're thinking i do...

swapping the motors between the two is not an option. waste of fucking time for 10 hp.

hell, the sol was never an option in the first place. its just in the way, and will be sold shortly.

erebunicrx
@Mar 7 2005, 02:15 PM
i say the hatch and go all out. like someone else said take as much as you can off the sol and put it on the hatch. maybe not even register the hatch and make it a track only car.
[post=470315]Quoted post[/post]​

if i had a truck/trailer, i'd consider it... but i don't.

just steal some parts off the sol until its sold... Basically, list it, and strip parts off as you get time... If it sells with the parts it sells... if not, you get more done to your hatch... :)

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Mar 7 2005, 12:49 PM
I got the hatch working again

Thats my favorite part. i spend my valuable time helping a friend with the knowlege i have and thats the thanks i get. :thankyousigna2:

Run the STi in AS man, the car is highly competitive in AS. Pick up a spare set of wheels, get some Hoosiers, sell one of the other cars to fund racing and have fun. And take the stupid drivers side oh-shit handle off, no more worries of helmet rubbage :D FWIW, the real competition for the STi is going to be S2000s, EVOs, M coupe, and non-torbo Porche 911s. IMO, the STi is a perfect fit for the class, the only car I would worry about is the EVO MR with the front LSD or an S2k with a real hot-shoe.

Originally posted by wildbillhatchbac+Mar 14 2005, 06:54 PM-->
pissedoffsol
@Mar 7 2005, 12:49 PM
I got the hatch working again

Thats my favorite part. i spend my valuable time helping a friend with the knowlege i have and thats the thanks i get. :thankyousigna2:
[post=473459]Quoted post[/post]​

this was just a joke, i know Brian appreciates my help and wasn't trying to take any credit away or anything. He helps me out with stuff too. Thanks bro for everything you've done for me. I hope you know i appreciate it all as i know you appreciate the help i give you.

Shit i think it was even my idea to fix the hatch that day. you didn't even really ask for my help.

i say do the hatch up real nice and sell me the sols front bumper fenders and headlights :D. then everyone is happy. so if thats an option let me know. just bought that 95 sol from chris and i need to fix her up.

Back