1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to swap in '99 Civic HB

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by K2e2vin, May 8, 2004.

K20 Swap or Not? ~NA

1. Balanced F22 with lightened flywheel and Skunk2 stage I camshaft

100.0%
  2. 2.0L B18C with Golden Eagle Sleeves, 12.0 CR Pistons

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. K20

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. K2e2vin

K2e2vin Senior Member

I am wondering which should i swap into my civic. I was thinking about going with a regular gs-r swap, and boring it out to 2 litres, and maybe getting some ITR camshafts. I saw a article in Turbo magazine; Area 51 swapped a K20a into a civic and the dyno shows the car has 195hp untuned. I want to know which motor would be best for NA. I dont know much about the K-series; but a friend's friend has a k20 right now and is selling it for $5000 with tranny. Its pretty expensive, but i want the best performance without doing much to the engine. car balance is also in question here.

2. beerbongskickass

beerbongskickass Senior Member

I would turbo the motor you have in it now. It would be cheaper and faster than any swap. If I was going to swap a motor in my car right now I would probably just go with a GSR... then turbo that.

3. E_SolSi

E_SolSi Member of the 20 nut club Moderator VIP

YAY!!!!!!! [​IMG]

im glad thats what you would do

we are all glad thats what you would do

unfortunatly it has absoFUCKINGlutely NOTHING to do with his question

he wants to stay NA

see?????

NA

NA means Naturally Aspirated

Naturally Aspirated means NO FUCKING TURBO

4. Jeef

Jeef NO MA'AM Moderator VIP

5. xj0hnx

xj0hnx I wanna be sedated VIP

Should I have a sandwich for lunch, or some tacos?, "dude, have some truffles, they're great"

6. MikeBergy

MikeBergy Blah blah blah....

If I had cash, I'd drop in a k20a2, and custom fab it. Better rs ratio, perfectly square bore/stroke, a generally more high tech motor. Lot of fab work, but probably worth it in the end. Bored b18c if you want it now. you will spend less time and money getting it in, but the motor will have a lot smaller powerband than the k20

7. K2e2vin

K2e2vin Senior Member

i can wait...after awhile things also get a lil cheaper. the k20 swap sounds tempting, but i didnt know how it would compare against a 2.0l b18c swap(powerwise), but if the k20 has a wider powerband and more power than i will try that. after all, a car with a wide powerband will be fast in autoX. i want the most perforamce with the least amount of money put into aftermarket parts. what concerns me the most is the weight, is the k20 heavier than a b18 with 84mm bore(made of iron)?

ive seen that btcc civic type-r that puts out ~270-290hp, restricted. can the k20 put out close to these numbers with off the shelf parts?(im thinking ecu, modified header, straight pipe, pistons, and conrods, p&p, and custom itb's)

8. beerbongskickass

Lol... calm down guys. Sorry I wasn't paying attention to the N/A part of his question. I just don't know why anybody would want to be N/A so I don't think that way, but it's your car. I may have got owned in this thread, but I will own all your N/A hondas on the street with my boosted d-series. ;)

9. K2e2vin

K2e2vin Senior Member

to tell you the truth..i street race, and bet on them. i also autoX(not very good but practicing). when youre trying to race somebody for money, you want to race someone who you can beat...with a turbo car the car with the biggest turbo will usually be the fastest. on a short straight an na car would have a small advantage...zero lag. na cars are harder to judge, so you have to guess by what bolt-ons they have etc.

aslo in autoX the response of the engine is not that great on a turbo motor; a car that has a engine with good response will be able to to accelerate through a corner faster(especially on fwd cars, where understeer is present).

a good example ive seen is turbo nissan sentra's vs. na honda civics that was on super 2nr tv. if you notice the sentra's are able to catch up to the civics on the straights but through the turns the civics are much faster.(btw the civics won the event)

10. lonelydriver

lonelydriver Member

:yes:
    lol, i know this is getting off topic, but i just had to write...

i love NA engines, especially ones with VTEC. i wish TODA would send me one of its B18C NA racing engines! B18C *drools* ITB's!

awesome! you have a 99 civic HB :D i want one too, my 90 civic HB is dead. i killed it, i was on a road trip with 230k miles and there was coolant leaking... luckily i made it home! my dad said the cylinder head is cracked/melted, rather than get a jdm swap done, i'll go with the more modern 96-00 civic HB, then get a jdm engine swap done... lol

and i agree, there are advantages and disadvantages of NA and turbocharged cars depending on what kind of racing you are doing. after watching initial D, drag racing isn't too appealing to me, neither is racing to see whose car is faster on the freeway. i'd like to autoX and drift some day too, but drifting is too $$$ for me right now.

i have to admit though, the sound of a large turbo spooling and the blow-off valve is too cool ;)

11. xj0hnx

Pretty bold statement for someone that hasn't even met anyone here, or seen their cars. I think your head would like to write checks your car can't cash.

12. lonelydriver

lonelydriver Member

i think he meant stock civics.

13. xj0hnx

No, he said all N/A Hondas, sounds funny to me, pretty typical though.

14. turboB20hatch

turboB20hatch Senior Member

ya seriously enough with the turbo dseries

15. dohch22a4

dohch22a4 Senior Member

Man, get the K20. Hasport makes mounts, and then you need to get an RSX-s front crossmember. Get the wiring done by a professional if you don't feel confident with it. It'll be retarded fast for just being a swap and will actually be more balanced than a B swap because the K weighs less.

K series gets a big :thumbsup: from me. I'd love to have a DC2 with a K20 and a killer suspension set up to bang around a roadcourse.

16. beerbongskickass

I do agree, N/A hondas for auto-x and road racing are cool, but for drag racing or street racing N/A hondas suck. I have raced N/A hatches and CRX's with H22's, GSR's, Type R's, B16's, LS/Vtec's and I haven't lost yet. My car with the quaife lsd and drag radials does pretty well on the street. If I get beat by a stock motor N/A honda I will be impressed, but I don't see that happening anytime soon. A high compression built motor is a different story, but as soon as I get rods/pistons that won't matter either. :p

17. MikeBergy

Maybe you just pick your races well. Anyway, k20 gets my vote still.

I wasn't aware of that. Hasport makes mounts for everything. I'm surprised they haven't come up with an answer to the piss poor trannys that come with the h22's, like an adapter for a b series tranny to go with the h22.

18. MikeBergy

Those motors are built to the teeth by some of the best engineers and techs in the world, if I'm thinking of the same type r civics you are talking about. THe ones in Honda Tuning mag a couple of issues back? Anyway, that is like comparing privateer racing teams to factory. Those guys DESIGN parts for those motors, they don't just pull something off the shelf. ITB's aren't what I would consider "standard boltons" unless you work for a racing team.

19. beerbongskickass

I will race anybody that wants to race me. I don't race for money, I race for fun.

20. dohch22a4

dohch22a4 Senior Member

Yeah, HASport makes the EK-K mounts mounts now and the EG versions are in development right now. You have to get the front crossmember from an RSX and fab it to fit in the EK, but it works. Soichiro-Honda knows a shitload about the K swaps, maybe he'll comment in here.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted