What To Swap?!?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

JReconco

Hey Everyone,

I will soon have $2000 when I sell my VW Ghia....

I want to get a honda / acura, but I dont know what to get... I have to get it in about a month. In 1 year I want to do a engine swap and do the basic upgrades. I might not do turbo since I blasted through 3 aircooled engines in 1 year at the tracks... I get scared when my car is on fire and I cant get out of my 5 point harness.

I dont know a thing about Hondas, but I know a load about Aircooled VWs. Hopefully I can tell you what I eventually want and you guys can help me pick the car that fits my needs...

I basically want to make a kit car, My dad made a Ferrari out of a Fiero and I like how that looked, but a fiero is so unrealiable... and being 6'3" mostly legs, I didnt fit in it anyway.. I live in California and since 15 (I'm 20..) I have owned only cars made before 1973 so I dont have to deal with emissions, and I guess I have to take that into consideration now.

First off for 2gs I know I cant get a hooked up car so I will have to settle for something stock as long as it runs for a year. And A/C would be nice. In 1 year I want to strip the interior of everything, clean up the rust and throw in a custom interior and maybe custom dash. I want to get a Full body kit to make it stand out from the crowd. Also drop a engine that will give me more than 150hp (I want 200hp, but 150 is good too)

I am considering a early 90s Crx because I stumbled onto a kit that I think looks great http://www.vitessesportscar.com/ I test drove a 91 SI stock grandma car and it was pretty crappy. It handles well but I felt the engine struggling to take the car to speed limit... I will do a swap in a year but whatever is under the hood now stinks.....

I was thinking about a Early 90s Accord but in my opinion they aren't too pretty till you get into 1994 (?), And I havent found any good kits for it yet.... The 94 + Integras are nice but I cant find a nice one in my price range, Dont think I will soon. Are there any kits available for this? A civic SI could be a possibility. I have found a lot on ebay. There must be kits out there to make them a bit more exotic.

What else is there? What's the best car to load a sweet engine into?

Keep in mind I dont know a thing about swaps and the whole point of me getting this car is so I can do my own swap and learn when the time comes. And use it as a daily driver till then. I may turbo the right engine if it wont blow on me and has enough hp to begin with.

If you guys can suggest some cars, and if you have them, some kits for the cars I would appreciate it. I just dont know what car out there is a good candidate for what I want to do. And I figured a swap forum would be the best place to find out.

Thanks a lot. J

in all honesty, for 2g's you aren't going to get anything in decent shape after 1988 unless you are lucky- especialyl ebing in cali, where hondas go for 2-3 grand more than what they are worth.

try looking out of state.

best bets-

90-91 crx
92-95 civic hatch vx/cx/dx

Hi
I am actually looking at family in Arizona, Texas and Tenessee to keep me informed on cars. I would never buy a car here in L.A. They Are overpiced and they are abused... some retirement community in Az might be my best bet.

Crx and Civic hatch huh? I can go with that. Any ohter Ideas?
Thanks, J

Originally posted by JReconco@Jan 28 2003, 01:14 AM
Hi
I am actually looking at family in Arizona, Texas and Tenessee to keep me informed on cars. I would never buy a car here in L.A. They Are overpiced and they are abused... some retirement community in Az might be my best bet.

Crx and Civic hatch huh? I can go with that. Any ohter Ideas?
Thanks, J

pissed is on crack, honda's are cheap in so. cal.... well, at least in san diego county. for $2,000, you can find i decent stock 88-91 crx or civic hatchback. a 92-95 hatch would be a better choice, but you just can't find 'em for $2G's. here are some cars that i found around here in your pricerange just by goin' to http://www.autotrader.com/...
'91 Honda Civic Hatchback DX: $1,300
'89 Honda CRX Si: $1,750

Okay, This is a stupid question but I dont know squat and edmunds.com doesnt help.

Do these civics and crxs have a/c, and tilt steering. (I dont care about the other stuff, just these two things)

The only civics I can find in LA in my price range are stolen, and most of those are in my neighborhood anyway.. Thanks kylemarhx, I forgot about autotrader.

So for my price range The only Honda/Acura that I can get is a 88-91 CRX and a early 90s civic hatch? there has to be more.... right?

J

there isn't really any other choices, you could get an older accord like you said, or an older prelude, but, IMO they are pieces of ass. i know some civics/crxs have tilt steering and a/c. but i'm not sure about what models. my old '91 hatch dx had tilt steering but no a/c. and it says in the autotrader ad that the crx si has a/c. so i'm not sure about what trims have which, so you'll just have to check with the seller. there are pleanty of hondas for sale in san diego county. just search the autotrader, you can use my zip code, it's 92083 and it's in northern san diego county, find some cars you like, call the sellers up, then take the 2 or so hour drive down here with a buddy, check out some cars and pick one. then have your buddy drive one car back up and you take the other... easy as that... good luck :) .

ps. i was just about to flame the fuck out of you about the body kit thing, but then i checked them out, those things are sick as hell, i'd even drive one of those around, i like the CRX kit. have fun with your project.
s3e3625de1a4ef.jpg

HAHAHA, Yeah I get a lot of Static from people when they see what I do to some of my cars. I have never owned a stock car, why start now.

The kit is expensive but the guy is willing to deal if I go there to pick it up. Well, I have a year to work overtime anyhow so I guess it work hurt too much...

I'll Keep my eye out for cars on Autotrader. Thanks

Heres another Q for everyone.

Is it better to buy a Civic/CRX that has a swaped engine in it already or is it better to do it yourself? Money is a huge factor in my life so I want to do whats economical, but I hope that it doesnt blow on me in 5000 miles. ebay has a few with b16 engines in them (like I know what that means) for about a grand or 2 more than a stock car, is it worth it?

I'll do a search on engines so I can fake my way into a conversation, Thanks J

no, they are not worth it, you can get a complete b16 swap for a 88-91 civic or crx for about $1,500 shipped from http://www.flashoptions.com/ and the swap that i'm talkin' about come with everything out of a front clip. which is not just engine, ecu and axles, it includes suspension and brakes and whatever other crap is in there, it's pretty pimp. i can't get over how much i like that kit... i think i'm goin' :ghey: .

Wow a whole front clip for 1500.... Thats pretty damn good. I thought these engines ran for more.... Originally I was thinking of searching the overpriced junk yards they have here in search for a miracle..

These engines from flashoptions, anyone ever give them a shot. I hate to have to ship a engine, so many things can go wrong.

Thanks everyone, this seems like a great forum, glad I stumbled upon it. J

Just keep your eyes open you'll find something good in your price range.Just after I paid $3500 for mine I found two more for under $2000,I guess that is just how it works sometimes.

Wow, Well I have 1 month too look before I have to start taking the bus. So far my options seem to be CRX and Civic. My wallet is leaning towards the crx. I haven't decided yet.

I guess I'll sleep on it and maybe when I check the forum in the morning someone will have a car they are tired of and want to give away for a small fee.... :D

Good night all, J

I would go with a 92-95 civic, so many damn options, GSR, LS, LS/Vtec,B16, all those swaps would give you hp from like 125 whp (b16), to like 165 whp (gsr), plus all of them are between 2000 - 4000 to swap. b16 being cheapest, and gsr being the most. If you want to go forced induction like turbo with like 10 psi boost, go ls, u gotta love low compression. Go gsr if you want a NA car, and ls/vtec if you want a frankenstien car( A bitch to maintain, but will have most other people their ass). I personaly would like to run a B18C1 from a 95 gsr, with a Jackson Racing SuperChager in my 95 civic coupe. I hope some of what i have said here has help you make the right decision,(92-95 Civic, Wink, Wink. ;-)

...give you hp from like 125 whp (b16), to like 165 whp... (gsr),

I doesn't translate to that much lost between the crank and the wheels,it's more like 10%-20%.

...b16 being cheapest, and gsr being the most...

Ls is the cheaper and a GSR doesn't run $4000,that is the B18C5 type R.

...ls/vtec if you want a frankenstien car( A bitch to maintain...

Not if properly built and tuned.

92-95 Civic

My choice also.

Here is a link that might help you,I think they said San Marcos,TX pretty far,but you said Texas is one of the spot you got look outs,so...

Yes, my friends have been trying to push other cars on me but I am looking for something that I can do a whole body conversion on, like the pic and link above.

I have found a load of crxs in the recylcer and much more expensive ones on ebay. 3 of the people I called are selling them cause they think they might be shipped out to Iraq...
Buyers market I guess.

I'll keep a open mind about what to buy, Thanks, J

Originally posted by JReconco@Jan 30 2003, 06:10 AM
...people I called are selling them cause they think they might be shipped out to Iraq...
Buyers market I guess.

It sure is.The post I'm stationed at has a new policy.If your vehicle is abandoned it gets crushed.So many peoplw when they got shipped,just left their cars,it became a mess.

If your vehicle is abandoned it gets crushed.So many peoplw when they got shipped,just left their cars,it became a mess

Ouch! Most the cars I have come across are from Long Beach down to San Diego, lot of people have left stuff behind lately...

I am trying to do a search about what is the best engine for a turbo ( for about 2gs ) but I keep coming up with off topic stuff, would someone let me know, or help me refine my search, thanks, J.

Originally posted by JReconco@Jan 30 2003, 06:29 AM
I am trying to do a search about what is the best engine for a turbo ( for about 2gs ) but I keep coming up with off topic stuff, would someone let me know, or help me refine my search, thanks, J.

Go up in the topic to Pissedoffsol's post and click the vtec/t vs ls/t link in his signature.

you should get a 1989-94 nissan 240sx fast back,you can put in an sr20 motor and you can do the ferrari 348 conversion.

got to paautoracing.com and select nissan then 240sx then 1989-94
and go down 8 pictures and youll see

Back