what to use?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

90 accord

Chicks dig the box
VIP
i've finally just said screw n/a.. so i want to go for a turbo.. the thing is, i have no idea where to start.. i dont want to spend more then 2000 on parts, and around 1000 on ecu upgrade, fuel, tuning, etc..

what would be the best turbo(least lag, etc), intercooler, piping, manifold, injectors, pump, ecu, etc???

now i dont expect 2453577334 horsepower, i just want to hit 13's, with a daily drivable psi.. maybe 220-250 whp?

this will be done on a stock(internals, head) b16a3. 91 octane fuel is the highest i can get..

also, what psi would you reccomend?

thanks!!!

Wow I'm surprised I missed this and no one has responded to it yet.

Well that $1000 you're saving for fuel, tuning, ECU upgrade could be spent on either Hondata or Uberdata. I think I'm more in favor of Uberdata in your case, given your budget. I don't know how much it is exactly to get your ECU chipped for it, but I believe you can download the program onto your computer. A little more may be involved in that, I'm not too sure but someone with more experience with Uberdata can hopefully answer that for you. Any left over money out of the $1000 can be used for injectors (DSM 440's or some rc's) and a Walbro 255lph fuel pump.

As for the turbo parts, you can check the FI Classifieds on honda-tech, theres always good deals on turbo's, wastegates, blow off valves, manifolds, downpipes, intercoolers and intercooler piping. If you decide to go with Hondata, you may also be able to find that for a good deal too. Or you can try www.thepartstrader.com. Can't really reccommend you what psi would be good cause I'm not sure what size turbo you're looking for.

Originally posted by NotUrAverage_Si@Aug 9 2004, 01:58 PM
Can't really reccommend you what psi would be good cause I'm not sure what size turbo you're looking for.
[post=374376]Quoted post[/post]​

i dont know either :shrug2: i want to hit 220-250 whp, safe for daily drivability.. is this possible?

i was leaning towards hondata for teh ecu upgrade, just because i have heard nothing but good about them.

so i guess my main question is, what kind of turbo should i use, that will get me to my 220=250 whp goal(if thats possible)?

i'll start looking on honda-tech more in depth when i get some more money, but the turbo is where i'm really confused at!!

thanks for your help so far!!!!

I am making about 215whp on my stock d16z6 and have been for 6 months. I am planning on running a little more boost once I get a tial wastegate too. You should have no problem reaching your goals with proper tuning and good fuel management. I would be going for at least 250+ (more like 300whp) if I had your motor. $3000 is defintely enough for a good turbo kit and I would also look into uberdata for fuel management since your on a budget (same thing as hondata, they are both chipped honda ecu's, they just have a different interface). I would look into getting a t3/t4 (60 trim .63/.60 maybe? There are lots of different trim's and AR's) and don't worry about the lag, top end power is defintely worth a little less spool time.

hmm.. 250+ should be good, i dont want to go overkill on my engine, i mean, i dont have to be the fastest car out there, i just want to be able to take rustangs, and hang with some lower model c5 vette's.. mid to low 13's :)

anyway, what kind of manifold should i use? internal or external wastgate? intercooler? intercooler dementions???

thanks!!!

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Aug 10 2004, 08:39 AM
the precision sc34 has your name all over it :)
[post=374714]Quoted post[/post]​

it's $825 from www.precisionte.com ... will that leave me enough money for the rest of my build? 2000 is the max i want to go, and cheaper would be good, so i have more money for fuel, tuning, etc..

internal or external wastegate? what size?

external, 38mm

buy it used you poor bastard. or get an turboheadaches, i mean turbonetics equivelent t3/t4

bah, too small
T3/04E 57 Trim
Stage 3 wheel
.50 A/R Compressor
.60 A/R Turbine

57 trim
.63 compressor
.63 turbine would be better

what does the "trim" mean? or the .63 compressor and the .63 turbine?

what do you think of the t70? too big??

also.. do the numbers (t3. t4, t70, etc) mean anything aside from a serial number?

t70 is fuckign huge. don't even consider it for a stock b16. lol

T is a turbonetics/garrett designation for the turbo size, in general
mitsubishi uses the XXb/g notation.
from small to big:

t15 14b 14g t28 16g t3 18g t3/t4 t4 t66 t51R t88

theres obviosuly 12312312312 others, but those are the most common.

trim refers to the angle of the blades on the "fan" of the turbo. the higher, the steeper the angle.... the harder it takes to get it moving (lag) but more overall power and top end
on top of that, there are the wheels them selves... you've probably seen "Stage 5 wheel" in the compressor of a t3/t4 or whatever.
for you, id go with a stage 3 wheel, 7 trim, .63 a/r (area / radius) on botht the compressor and the turbine... maybe a little lower on the turbine to help spool as the b16 is a bitch motor :D

read this:
http://www.turbocalculator.com/how-to-read.html

i've heard great things about the gt28rs turbo as well.. what are your thoughts on this one?

ok..

in a prevous post you say
or you, id go with a stage 3 wheel, 7 trim,

is that supposed to be a 57 trim?

what kind of exhaust manifold? i'm sure i will get a ton more benifit out of an equal length one, but i highly value my a/c, so a log style may be all i can get?

yeah, that was a fat-finger 57 :D sorry about that.

you can go equal length with a/c... full-race makes one.

otherwise, you're SOL.

but you don't need it. just get a revhard or inline pro log mani.

if you want a manifold that cracks, a wastegate that is no longer in production, a "Steel 5 bolt downpipe flange" with a 4-bolt turbo, and a weak ass fucking pathetic 2" downpipe, go for it.

IMO, its a rip off.

Back