What Tool(s) Do I Need???

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Magik

I need to change a wheel bearing (or two) on the front of the girlfriends car (90DX4Dr) this weekend and was wondering what tool I need to press out the bearing and press a new one back in? Normally I would just change the whole knuckle, but I don't have the option this time.

Anyone help me out with a list of tools, diagram of the tools/or procedure, and any how-to's??...or anything?

Thanks guys/gals...

Jason

helms explains it all in detail, you need a hydrolic press to do it. what i did was take my whole kuckle off and bring it to a machine shop w/ the bearing and have them press the old one out and new one in for like 15 bucks.

yup take the knuckle/spindle and bring it to a garage witha press and have them press it in then put the spindle back in

Well, I went to sears to have them press out the bearing and press in the new one for $27 CDN (I was just going to bring them the knuckle but I couldn't get the caliper bolts out) so I took them the whole car...they took the car for a test drive and came back and told me she also needs a left tie rod end, left upper control arm, right wheel bearing, and right lower ball joint...sigh...back to the drawing board...

The rest of it I can do...just got to get her the parts...sigh...While I do the rest I'll bring them the knuckle...she'll have to drive another week like this first...dammit...

Jason

ummm most fo the things u just mentioned wouldnt be something u would determine by driving the car so before u dump all that money into it id jack it up yourself and chck the parts out that they said it needed besides the wheel bearing u would hear that and also maybe the ball joint might be heard but i would check it out yourself.....places like that like to tell u you need stuff u really dont

A friend of mine pressed in his bearings by lowering his car ( already on jacks ) onto a socket ontop of the bearing. It even went in straight too. :lol:

Originally posted by Canuck 93 Civic Si@Feb 15 2004, 08:01 PM
A friend of mine pressed in his bearings by lowering his car ( already on jacks ) onto a socket ontop of the bearing. It even went in straight too. :lol:

Holy crap!...that's Ballsy!

Driver1: They actually took me out into the bay and showed me the lower ball joint on the right front...he pushed up on the tire and I could see that the BJ was bad. Then we went to the left side and looked at the tie rod end...and that was indeed bad as well...the only thing I haven't confirmed yet is the ball joint that is part of the upper control arm....

Jason

Back