1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what tranny is it?

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by GSRCRXsi, Dec 28, 2002.

1. GSRCRXsi

GSRCRXsi Super Moderator Moderator VIP

ok i recently bought my CRX with a GSR swap already done. i was askin the guy an ass load of questions about the car (cause i like to know exactly whats on my car) and one question i couldnt get answered was what type of tranny he used. i asked him if it was cable and he said yes and he THOUGHT it was the Y1 but hes NOT SURE. how can i find out what type of transmission is there, or even if its a cable like he said? is there a stamp on it or anything on the tranny itself?

2. GSRCRXsi

anyone?

3. xj0hnx

xj0hnx I wanna be sedated VIP

To see if it is cable or hydraulic look at the front of the transmission,You will see a cable going to a actuator or a flexible rubber line coming from a hard line.There should be a little stamp on it(next to the block towards the top of the tranny)with the code.And you can reference the number on it in the reference section.

4. chet

chet Senior Member

the transmission should have a barcode stamped on it...

read that code, and post what it is.

its almost definitely a cable transmission...just look to see what type of mechanism engages the clutch.

5. GSRCRXsi

ok i checked out the tranny code. it said YS1 - 1.... and some numbers. does that mean its the YS1 tranny? i looked an its cable. let me know is that the same as Y1 cause i never hear it refered to as YS1. thanks.

6. GSRCRXsi

also is this a good tranny? i just took it out for a drive today for the first time and this thing literally hauled ass. i dont know how fast i was going on account of my speedo doesnt work, but what i did notice was that under hard acceleration 2nd and 3rd gear grinds. is this bad or is it just me? i guess its possible that its me cuase im not used to the car yet. let me know. thanks.

7. GSRCRXsi

8. asmallsol

asmallsol Super Moderator

well the grinding is a somewhat comman thing, your syncros are going. One way that will postpone this is to get Honda Manuel (sp?) Tanny fluid and flush your tranny oil.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted