What Turbo To Get?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

is this argument based on which motor is better for boost? or which is more cost effective? I think thats where Brian and Chet's opinions are conflicting. Yes, initially the LS can be built for turbo for less than the GSR, including the price of the engine. Buuuuuuut...if you had the chance to pick up a GSR longblock vs. an LS longblock for the same price, both intended to be built for a turbo application, which would you choose? In theory I kinda sorta have this choice to make, long story....personally my choice would be the GSR....

yea, thats the way i feel, for example, if you were given 15K to spend on a GSR-T AND an LS-T you could make the GSR-T faster.

theroy or not- you will NOT find a complete gsr swap for 1200. period. if it is, its stolen- so fuck you anyway :)
for 15 grand- at that point, its really way out of this discussion. we were talking stock for stock with the same kit and tranny on either motor.

and i will repeat- for the money, the LS/t is the hardest hitting.
for all out- fuck the gsr- h22 to 2.7L :)

all or nothing in my book.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jan 8 2003, 01:32 AM
theroy or not- you will NOT find a complete gsr swap for 1200. period. if it is, its stolen- so fuck you anyway :)
for 15 grand- at that point, its really way out of this discussion. we were talking stock for stock with the same kit and tranny on either motor.

and i will repeat- for the money, the LS/t is the hardest hitting.
for all out- fuck the gsr- h22 to 2.7L :)

all or nothing in my book.

Where would you get that stroked to 2.7? I thought someone said the H wasn't too strong for boost and stroking it to 2.7 seems kind of crazy if you want to boost it. I could be wrong like always :D

i agree that for the money, ls/t is the hardest hitting however, given more funds you can always make the gsr/t faster i.e.:

port the ls head to flow like a gsr head, with excess money, port the gsr head to flow even better than stock.

let me put it to you this way, it kinda like having two cups of water, in one cup labeled GSR/t, the water temp is 35 degrees and in the other cup labeled LS/t the temp is 50 degrees. Put them both in the freezer and see which one freezes first. obviously the cup marked GSR/t will freeze first. same thing with these engines... you can ALWAYS make the GSR/t more powerful simply because your starting off with a better platofrm. it's all about the foundation.

do not run turbonetics turbo kits they are shitty. my buddy from str (matt) he works there has had this civic sohc in there for almost a year and a half because the turbo is horrible they have put three new turbonetics turbos on the car and all of them have gone to shit

:worthy: Built H22a w/ Turbonetics T3-T04e stage 3. Where can I learn more about turbos because I'm looking at this ( http://64.225.76.178/main.htm ) and I'm lost. I just want to understand different sizing and what kind of effect changing something will have on the engine cause I'm not even sure exaclty what the hell stage 3 means. :huh:

I think I got the basics, I just feel like there's more to be learned than what is there, like what kind of effect changing the T3's (compressor wheel) trim will have or things like that. Real technical details, know what I mean? Because right now if I were to try to order something here:
( http://64.225.76.178/main.htm ) I would'nt know wtf I was doing.

Originally posted by chet@Jan 6 2003, 09:28 PM
so basically, the ls motor needs to be built that much more to achieve the same numbers...

its like starting with a weaker platform to achieve the same goals...and in the end its not cheaper and not more efficient.

this coming from a honda owner?????????? isnt that one of the things we like about honda........... :blink:

i hate to add confusion, but

to whoever posted the freezing water comparison, the water that was at the higher temp would actually freeze faster. because it's at a higher temp, it loses heat faster in a colder environment (i.e. freezes faster). i dont remeber why exactly, but it has to do with thermodynamics and the nature of escaping heat energy (i think that's what it is).

also...

sombody pointed out the cost differencce between a gsr and an ls. another thing to note is that in general, ls parts are cheaper than gsr parts, so you'd be saving more than the difference between the costs of the engines.

and another thing... i posted this somewhere else but i copied it here too...

what is vtec for?
it puts out more power at higher rpms...

when does a turbo provide power?
at higher rpms (when it spools up)...

it seems to me that a turbo and the vtec accomplish the same goals, and alot of people seem to miss this. i dont know for sure, but i'd say that you lose most (if not all) of the advantages of VTEC when you go turbo, so why pay extra for an engine with something that you're not gonna use (alot of people with turbo gsr's disable the vtec via hondata).

as far as the r/s ratio difference between the gsr and ls

B18A-B:
R/S: 1.54:1

B18C:
R/S: 1.58:1

a difference of .04, marginal.

all in all my take on this is:
the gsr is for all motor
the ls is for turbo

maybe i'm wrong, or maybe i'm just so right that it blows your minds....

Jesus....thank you(Chet). I'm sick to fucking death of this Ls vs. v-tec drag story too. Pull your heads out of your asses and realize that a glitch in reaction time could throw that race either way and horribly misrepresent in the timeslips. Unless Papadakis was out there clicking off exact times for a living, I mean really...how could you judge a whole engine set up on a story? Not to mention the the obvious benefit of Honda is the versatility. Why in the world would you build just a drag car out of a great all around machine(unless you just had money to burn). Straight line cars are for straight line thinking...to whom it may concern, buy a Camaro. :unsure:

Then there is that whole business about being to move more air with bigger cam lobes when the turbo spools up...

Brian pretty much showed that vtec sucks with boost or more accurately it doesnt SUCK but a friend of his ran his motor with a built ls head and a built vtec head of some kind and although the vtec motor dyno'd higher, the motor with the ls head ran a faster time slip. Correct me if I'm wrong, and btw shopping for cams, go compare prices for cams with vtec and no vtec, its like a $500 difference. For $500 I can get 3" thermal turbo exhaust, or upgrade from a t3/t04 to a t3/60-1, I could get new rods, yada yada, so not only do you save the initial $2k you also save $500 on cams. Im just throwing in my 2 cents, what I have picked up from brian and all the research I am doing for my ls/t project.

Originally posted by cws13@Jan 18 2003, 11:25 PM
Straight line cars are for straight line thinking...to whom it may concern, buy a Camaro. :unsure:

this thread is about boost- high power. corners have nothing to do with boost or power. we aren't talking about any type of particualr race technique. but, if turning is all you want to do...

to whom it may concern, go by a golf cart :)

Back