What Turbo To Get?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

as far as my first question-

s3e2877f377134.jpg

t3/60-1 ownz j0000!!!

I think all about the fight VTEC vs non-VTEC is "What is VTEC for?"
As we all know, VTEC is for letting more air in the engine at higher rpms, that is usually at 5000rpms or so.
A turbo also puts more air into the engine, it just comes in earlier.
BUT turbo motors should have highest valve lift and longest open time without intersection.
So what sould vtec do then? I dont know.

the price issue is a valid point, however it is stated that if you go with a ls youll need to upgrade the tranny, either gsr or lsd, both will run you upwards of 1000$ their goes some of your saved money, also isnt vtec more beneficial no mater what you run, as long as you swap cams... if you get cams that profiles match a turbo application wont the dual lobs of vtec still out preform a single lobe cam anyway? also the higher c/r ratio on the gsr will lead to less boost than a stock ls, however wont this lead to a more responsive engine with less lag? :worthy:

who in this thread has had direct experience with vtec turbo?

i can promise you i've seen several vtec turbo setups and know that they make crazy power during vtec. in fact, i'd rather buy a b16a and turbo that over a ls motor. the ls simply isn't built as well and is designed by honda to rev to 6700rpm. after that you're using your own technology to rev an engine that was never designed to rev that high.

vtec is better than non vtec almost all the time. if this weren't the case the fastest all motor and fastest turbo guys would be running non-vtec setups. this isn't the case for a reason, because vtec is great technology!!!!!!

All I am saying (Pissedoffsol) is why bottle neck you car. Most guys I know hit the strip, but also drive to work. Even in a full drag scenario, the less you have to shift the better, and if you can stay in the power band when you do.... Higher power band is going to help. More air off the v-tec lobes, when the car needs it--after boost is built. And by the way, my golf cart handles like shit :D

TODA doesn't make turbo cams do they? I'm getting the feeling TODA is all about NA, what with the individual throttle body per cylinder manifold setup thing. Also, there's three lobes on a VTEC cam, no? Idle, low RPM, and high RPM. Question, what shifts the camshaft or are the rockers made for that?

Originally posted by chet@Jan 20 2003, 12:34 PM

i can promise you i've seen several vtec turbo setups and know that they make crazy power during vtec. in fact, i'd rather buy a b16a and turbo that over a ls motor. the ls simply isn't built as well and is designed by honda to rev to 6700rpm. after that you're using your own technology to rev an engine that was never designed to rev that high.

vtec is better than non vtec almost all the time. if this weren't the case the fastest all motor and fastest turbo guys would be running non-vtec setups. this isn't the case for a reason, because vtec is great technology!!!!!!

very well put.

#1- is chet's car boosted. no
#2- is my car boosted YET. no

this thread sucks. yes

AHHHH too much information for my brain to handle!! BOV BOV BOV!!! ::pssssst:: ahhhh :D much better.

For the noobs like me this thread owns...I just need to read it like 20 or 30 times to digest all the info! Too all the posters of useful info on this thead: :worthy:

Now I'm just gonna go and sell a kidney so I can afford to start saving up for a turbo as well as building up the motor to handle it!

I didn't want to bring this post back to life but i had to because it kinda brought to my mind some ideas that people were forgetting:

1. 75 per cent of the fastest running(1/4 mile) cars are VTEC powered, that has to account for something cuz these people wouldn't put lots of money into a platform if it wasn't designed to make power

2. Not knocking the LS motor but it wasn't designed to be a performance engine other wise honda wouldn't have put a weak tranny on it, low redline and poor R/S ratio, i have love for the LS but you people put way too much faith in it in stock form. The DOHC VTEC engines in any case have more efficient flowing heads, stronger valvetrains, stronger tranny components, more efficient oil pumps, and more solid bottom ends that non vtec dohcs, so the price issue isn't an issue when you see what you actually get compared to an LS swap.

3. If you are worried about how VTEC cam profiles in the GSR are with boost it is way easier to swap in a set of VTEC cams from another bseries VTEC motor to make up for it, unlike the LS where your options are very limited, sure you can do aftermarket but so can the VTEC with a lot more options.

4. For the guy who said H22's aren't good for boost, then the other guy said "what about stephan papadakis?" if you have ever seen his car up close, it ain't the H22 you find everyday in the Prelude, i mean the transmission isn't even honda, its like an indy car tranny, so don't use that as an example.

5. Someone said "VTEC's don't like boost in stock form", read the sig, no tuning, bolted on 9.5PSI and if anyone can figure out from the MPH its good enough for a nice 12 sec run on slicks, B16A T3/T4.

6. Please don't make arguments like "The VTEC/Turbo motor put down more power than the LS/Turbo and the LS/Turbo ran quicker than the VTEC/Turbo" ok, so what suspension setup did both cars have? both have slicks? what was the weight of both cars? who was driving? did they race more than one time? just sounded like a weak argument to me.

7. Finally, people put to much emphasis on the 1/4 mile times, and not the MPH's, if you look at most peoples arguments they never mention the MPH, this shows you how much power you are making and what potential you have with proper traction.

Just my .02, but what do i know i love SOHC's, don't get me started on that argument. All love to LS's and i'm sure there is many people who have success but the argument is boost and vtec/non vtec i think in the end and in the long run vtec would have to have the heads up on non.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jan 8 2003, 05:26 AM
ask stephan papadakis.

yes a 2.7 prelude boosted to shit, but like we discussed in a previous thread... not reliable for anything but straight drag and if you have money to waste.

i have a lil bit just off of what friends of mine have built but, no personal experience from my own cars... yeah VTEC does make some crazy ass power with the help of boost... can we say immediate traction loss? WHOA!

as for everything else said here in this thread, FUCK, too much reading, my eyes hurt! maybe i'll read it again in a few months when me and a bunch of my friends build our full drag car :D

i wanna comment but i dont know where to begin :blink: ... ahah

I agree w/ Chet 100% the b18c motor is very capeable of out performing the b18b motor. Not only can it make an insane amount of USABLE TOP END POWER but it can also have a nice lower end power to.. since all vtec is is basically 2 cams in 1 as opposed to an agressive LS cam which would only make power on the upper end and wouldnt be as efficent in the lower rpm's..and you cant forget the flow characteristics of the p75 head...Dont get me wrong they are both nice motors but LS has always been the underdog and always will

Originally posted by sohc em@Feb 2 2003, 09:51 PM
6. Please don't make arguments like "The VTEC/Turbo motor put down more power than the LS/Turbo and the LS/Turbo ran quicker than the VTEC/Turbo" ok, so what suspension setup did both cars have? both have slicks? what was the weight of both cars? who was driving? did they race more than one time? just sounded like a weak argument to me.

it was the same car with the same wheels/tires and suspension.
that is why i made that argument.

Originally posted by Holeshot@Jan 20 2003, 08:33 PM
Also, there's three lobes on a VTEC cam, no?  Idle, low RPM, and high RPM.  Question, what shifts the camshaft or are the rockers made for that?

there are actually 12 lobes on a vtec cam... 4 sets of 3 lobes... 3 per cyl. but they're not hi, med and low settings. the two outer cam lobes of the 3 are identical and they hit two rockers that are directly under them, when vtec engages it is done by locking together the two rockers together by a piston running through each of them (i believe that's how it works) pretend the "O's" are rockers and the "-" is the piston connecting them... at pre-vtec rpm's the rocker setup looks like this:
O O with the low rpm cam lobes hitting the two rockers and the high rpm cam lobe fitting between them and not doin' a damn thing, but when vtec engages it runs a piston thourgh them and then looks like this:
O-O, now since the high rpm vtec cam lobe is larger than the other lobes, it hits the piston (i call it a piston, call it what you want... metal rod, elongated piston, slide pin) connecting the two rockers and opens the valves and since it is of higher lift and longer duration than the non-vtec lobes they never touch the rockers.

*somebody please correct my errors or fill in what i left out.

if the ls is truly more suited for a turbo, than what turbo is recommended for an ls motor and what upgraded cams?

Back