what u think of this EQ?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

MadMaXXX

Mad Man
i was looking to replace all the speekers and put in a cd player and equalizer in my legend

i found this eq that would make things a lot simpler as far as wiring goes

equalizer

SQ is what im looking for and i would like to know if the built in amp in this eq would give me the sq that im looking for

any opinions and such regarding this equalizer will be highly appreciated

thanks

If you want to say you have "SQ" just because you dont have a bandpass sub in the trunk, go ahead.

But I dont really trust a pyramid $40 eq to cure any problems. Sure, it'll drive whatever speakers you get, and hopefully wouldn't distort too quickly; but what kind of tuning will you get from a 10-band eq? Nothing significant will change from the stock sound and you'll probably just throw a "smiley-face" on the EQ anyways.

Just get a nice deck, your standard infinity speakers and/or jl sub, and it'll sound fine. *sarcasm*

If your looking to simplify hookups, why not find a 5 channel amp? It will hook up all four speakers in your car plus a sub. If you can get yourself a deck that had separate front/rear/sub rcas that would make life a whole lot easier also.

eq are crap unless you know how to properly tune them and omly play one type of music if you want sq got get a good deck and a surround sound system

thanks guys, the price was way too low and u know that saying u get what u paid for

i will probably just go with a new deck replace the speakers and get amps for the front and back or either a 4 channel amp like some1 suggested

i heard a lot of good things about infinity speakers

Originally posted by hcivic.com@Jul 15 2004, 01:57 PM
eq are crap unless you know how to properly tune them and omly play one type of music if you want sq got get a good deck and a surround sound system

1) only play one type of music? How do you tune your eqs? If you aren't tuning your system flat freq-wise then you might as well rely on the "eq" settings on your deck (a.k.a "rock", "jazz", etc.) The point of an eq isn't to exaggerate musical genres' sounds; it's used to tweak a system to obtain a flat response by adjusting for cabin gain, flattening/raising plateaus, and eliminating resonant peaks.

2) surround sound system? Unless you have 5.1 SACD or DVD-A, why are you trying to watch movies in your car? Don't have a home? I just don't get why you want to crush any/all of the sound stage you probably dont have in the first place.

I think a lot of people are misusing the term SQ. It's not just one or the other, SQ or SPL. SPL = maximum output at 1 freq. SQ = the truest reproduction of music. Now, MadMaxxx wants to have a nice sounding system. That probably just means that it has a nice frequency response while being able to reach loud volumes without distorting. That's fine. But once you've heard a true SQ car, you'll know the difference.

And btw, the inifinity/jl comment was supposed to have a *sarcasm* note attached. I'm just a little sick of hearing that the infinity component sets are the end all of car audio, you can use other drivers at half the cost for better sound.

Pyramid = dogshit

the end.

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Jul 16 2004, 07:34 AM
Pyramid = dogshit

the end.

Werd, my buddy had one ages ago and he moved it from car to car, I hated that fucking ugly thing.

IMO a good deck a nice small amp, some crossovers, and a small sub is all you need for regular usage.

This is an auction of the type of deck I have (well, mine isn't on ebay), only its the cosmetically newer and "cooler" version with the blue LEDs and Silver face Alpine Deck

Of all the systems I have heard, the best ones always had alpine head units in them, and lots of my buddies liked clarion and eclipse, so I got to sample a lot of high end systems. You have to build the entire system, but this deck is a good start; no skips (except on some of my most scratched up cd's), and a good amount of features. Pic of my actual deck below.

s409e8c091adc2.jpg

hey tommythecat

ur prolly right about what i mean when it comes to sound

and anyway most of the music i play is electronic anyway

im mostly looking for crisp vocals and minimum distortion with decent bass

i am really set on an alpine cda-9827 mp3 player

what sub and amp do u suggest are good value for the money when it comes to that?

i did notice infinity components are rather expensive

thanks again 4 the info

Amps are tricky, I normally get something from someone I know or somewhere I know I can get it cheap. Just find something with 300W RMS, nice low distortion, and hook it up to an Adire Shiva 12" . Sealed or ported is fine, got more xmax one-way than others total (15mm), 8 ohm DVC, etc.

Originally posted by TommyTheCat@Jul 15 2004, 10:56 PM
2) surround sound system? Unless you have 5.1 SACD or DVD-A, why are you trying to watch movies in your car? Don't have a home? I just don't get why you want to crush any/all of the sound stage you probably dont have in the first place.

What's wrong with movies in the car? No, I don't have a 5.1 setup in the house but I do have one in the car... so I'd prefer to watch a movie there.

That, and when the HGTV shows are on, there aint a chance in HELL that I'll be able to put my hands on the remote :lol:

DTS whoops the livin shit outta standard front/rear/sub setups... hands down.

I'm not trying to start a fight, but watching Jurassic Park/Matrix/etc in a car on a 7" screen with a 5.1 system isn't my idea of a nice "home" theater. Plus, you can't watch any movies with a chick in your car; unless you're parked in the garage you have little chance of anything happening :( . So put the theater back inside with the love seat :wub: .

Also, how many cd's do you have encoded in DTS? We were talking about listening to music, not driving around listening to movies all day. So dts can whoop standard setups all day...until a tuned stereo system comes along, then you can bow :D .

Originally posted by TommyTheCat@Jul 21 2004, 10:37 PM
I'm not trying to start a fight, but watching Jurassic Park/Matrix/etc in a car on a 7" screen with a 5.1 system isn't my idea of a nice "home" theater. Plus, you can't watch any movies with a chick in your car; unless you're parked in the garage you have little chance of anything happening :( . So put the theater back inside with the love seat :wub: .

Also, how many cd's do you have encoded in DTS? We were talking about listening to music, not driving around listening to movies all day. So dts can whoop standard setups all day...until a tuned stereo system comes along, then you can bow :D .
[post=366613]Quoted post[/post]​

I have a few. Orbital's The Altogether serves as both a DVD with music videos or as good ol audio. I've got a couple other DTS CDs as well as some tracks I downloaded.

The Matrix isn't in DTS :( :( :(

I need to get some decent components up front instead of the old ass coaxials there now. Once I get those dropped in I'd be glad to compare SQ versus other setups.

I simply like having a system I've spent less than a thousand on that can make audio jocks and installers tell me that "it's better than almost anything I've heard". I'm working to prove that you don't have to drop a bankroll the size of Texas to get a good system. Seems like I'm just about there.

Back