what valve spring compressor for h22a ?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Looks like i am going to need a valve spring compressor for replacing my bent valves. Is there any kind that is better than the others? Or should i just pick up one from ebay? I see two kinds there one is an 8 inch auto engine valve compressor and one is
UNIVERSAL OVERHEAD VALVE SPRING COMPRESSOR AUTO TOOL or are there better ones?

Also if my valves are bent could it have messed up my my valve seats?

And yes the autotensioner went bad.

Last edited:
The one in your link won't work. A friend of mine made one that attached to a hydraulic press, but it's somewhat hard to describe. I think Strap-On makes a Honda valvespring compressor, but it's like a gajillion dollars.

Best bet would probably be to either take it to a machine shop or do what this guy did Honda B Series Valve Spring Installation

Last edited:
2hmk36x.jpg

i dont know how the first one works, and sadly i know all too well how the second one works. my vote is for two.

The first of those two links is a GM/Ford-style valvespring compressor, it won't work on a Honda.

i used one like this
eBay Store - The Racing Shop: PARTS, HONDA VTEC, CIVIC PISTONS
but they made it for the h22.
email him and see if he still has one
i worked great for dissasembley but i had the machine shop assemble and do a valve job so i am unsure how good it would be for that but it works great.

That thing is awesome. I have one and it works great. The only difference to make it work with an H22 is they drill the mounting holes out a bit wider.

I bought the one in post #7 hope it works. It seems that there wasnt very much clearance for instllation on the one you are sayign is badass

i used one like this
eBay Store - The Racing Shop: PARTS, HONDA VTEC, CIVIC PISTONS
but they made it for the h22.
email him and see if he still has one
i worked great for dissasembley but i had the machine shop assemble and do a valve job so i am unsure how good it would be for that but it works great.

That is quite possibly the coolest thing ive ever seen in the tools department. Hooray for creativity. I think i need one.

Back