What Would U Do With $350 For Hp

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

flyguy7732

Ok i have an 89 CRX SI ...im droppin a b16a in it this weekend....and im gonnna have about $350 to play with right after the swap i know its not alot but i wanna do something for that amount that will add the most horsepower for now being... what should i do?

You could get yourself a custom exuast system bent, and still get a CAI, or get a header, if you plan on staying NA.

ok well i plan on a turbo in the future ...so i dont wanna do headers ..thanx for the idea though .

AEM V2 Cold Air Intake....they have reported a 14.9hp gain at the wheels on a D16Y7 motor. Imagine what it will do for your B16.

yea, i've heard alot of stuff about those v2's, i've heard alot of hype about them having big gains, i guess somebody's gonna have to buy it and test it out...

anyway, what i would do IMO is i would get an exhaust and get the piping for it.
i have a ES oval muffler on my ride right now and it only cost me like 95 bucks. i'm pretty sure some of you have heard about that muffler. it looks stock and has a nice sound to it. plus, you would have money to spare to go to jack n the box or somethng and get 2 tacos for 99 cent. mMmMM

peace!

ps: i would post a pic of my car w/ the muffler but dont know how, any help?

Originally posted by ekPhred@Feb 14 2003, 05:29 PM
ps: i would post a pic of my car w/ the muffler but dont know how, any help?

If it is saved to your computer, go to the "The gallery is now open!" link at the top of the page, create a gallery, upload photos, then once you have it uploaded, right click to find out the properties. There will be something like sourse of webadress, copy that and once you want to put it in a thread, go to the IMG button then just paste the web adress there. (i know others could have said it in less words sorry)

Back to cars. Is turbo a defent yes? If it is but it might be like a few months, make yourself a CAI. All parts needed will cost you under $70 and does just as good as the good old AEM system. Go to teamdelsol.com and in there how-to's or tech, they have a good write up on how to do it. (it is for a del sol but it is basicly the same.)

Your in the price range for a nice intake manifold, definitly a power adder.

Originally posted by onefastcivic@Feb 14 2003, 04:32 PM
AEM intake werd :hitit:

you have to relocate the battery for an intake to the hatch on B16A rexes, so....I'd say skunk2 IM from ALLJDM

LEts see...

If you are good on ebay and partstrader you can easily find stuff for your ride.

Heres what I did...I had to get a header. intake, and exhaust for under 350 dollars. Check this out

Ebay:

AEM short air intake: 72 dollars shipped
Powertech 4-2-1 ceramic header: 163 dollars shipped

Parts trader:

5Zigen Fireball cat-back exhaust: 200 Shipped

Ok so I am over but if you find a brand new 5Zigen catback I bet you would find the money damn quick to get it too. :)

Originally posted by flyguy7732@Feb 14 2003, 03:31 PM
Ok i have an 89 CRX SI ...im droppin a b16a in it this weekend....and im gonnna have about $350 to play with right after the swap i know its not alot but i wanna do something for that amount that will add the most horsepower for now being... what should i do?

Used nitrous kit- there have been several ZEX kits posted here in the past few weeks that could have been bought for that price.

save the 350 for the turbo.

everything above that was psoted will simply be thrown out down the road. so why bother.

plan ahead, save money.

don't do what i did. lol buy swap- by 3123123 parts for it. change mind. sell out. take 50% loss. start over like an asshole. lather, repeat if desired

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Feb 16 2003, 01:32 AM
save the 350 for the turbo.

everything above that was psoted will simply be thrown out down the road. so why bother.

plan ahead, save money.

don't do what i did. lol buy swap- by 3123123 parts for it. change mind. sell out. take 50% loss. start over like an asshole. lather, repeat if desired

i agree with brian if it is a for sure thing you are getting a turbo, then logically you wont need a CAI, it will go to no use besides the filter... exhaust, you will prolly have to upgrade it when you do get your turbo kit... only things i can think of for you t get that will help later when you get the turbo? larger throttle body, and intake manifold port matched... but TBs are expensive now-a-days... look for a used one that has been ported

but with 350... put it away in your bank account and save for the turbo or some internal work so that when you do strap on the turbo you will be less likely to blow your motor in the long run or under heavy boost

yea, if you're going turbo for sure, i agree with all the peeps here, you might as well save your moola and go big when you have the dough

peace!

alright ..thanx alot guys that sounds good ..i think i will prolly look for a ported throttle body and then just save...i appreciate the help ..thanx again

It should all go into the bank and save up for an engine swap. Why piss a lot of money on mods that will give you like 2 hp when you can do a swap and get better gains with more potential.

Originally posted by jeff@Feb 16 2003, 05:19 PM
It should all go into the bank and save up for an engine swap. Why piss a lot of money on mods that will give you like 2 hp when you can do a swap and get better gains with more potential.

i do believe he is already about to swap a b16a... and he has an extra 350 laying around from the swap CASH that he wanted to put in the car or save for the turbo...

swap was already done :)

I know this is going to get you any power but why not put the money away and save up for a brake upgrade(or buy used components online, I personally don't recommend used braking system parts this but I'm trying to cover all aspects) if you don't already have one. This is the part that most people neglect. With all that extra power of a B16 and a turbo you might need to start thinking about bringing that car to a stop.

Originally posted by flyguy7732@Feb 14 2003, 04:31 PM

NOS KIT!!! then you could always to 2 1/2 in. piping if u have money left over. just check out e-bay for the nos kit or damn just ask around... :spin:

Back