What would you do with 6K and a 95 civic

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

whitecat31

Greetings all,

This is one of the forums where you get to express your opinions. I will read them all and hopefully, save up enough money to do the right thing. I am thinking 6K is the most I would spend.(and get away with without the wife killing me.)
First off. Lets start with the ground work.
I have a 95 Honda Civic. Modified Exhaust, and of course Cold Air intake.
Now here are the questions. What is the best way to pump this baby up in a cost effective way?
Question one.. What is the best engine to put in?
Now of course the answer is a B16B or B18C6/7 or even F20C but these engines are hard to get and expensive. I also have not heard of anybody sticking a F20C into a 95 civic, and I would love to hear or read about that.
I guess the glorius dream is a F20C rebuilt internally to handle a full boost turbo and a nitrous kit. I just don't see that happening.
So what I really want to know, is what is the best bang for the buck?
Question 2. What are the best headers?
Question 3. What are the best Turbo kits?
Question 4. What are the best Nitrous kits.
Question 5. Did I forget anything to ask?

Oh yeah. This is not the hatchback but a 2 door coupe. It is lowered and has real nice rims and tires.

Thank you.
Whitecat31

ok, let me see what i can answer for ya- first off, there is no b18c6 or 7 so those motors are obviously not options- And an f series swap into a EG is exactly the same as an H series so there is no reason to swap f20- That said, it would be easier if you would post power goals, but for 6 grand, you can do an awful lot in the way of motor swaps and boost- You're best bet, especially if you would like to go fast would be to buy a B18b or B18c1 from hmotorsonline.com and build it for boost using a custom turbo kit; or even run a turbo kit from one of the major manufacturers if you're not looking for huge power. If you are going to go turbo, there is no reason to buy a header, so i will skip that questions- The best turbo kit is a widely subjective question- Everyone has their own opinon and i've never run one so i can't suggest any from my own experience, however plenty of the members are boosted and will be glad to help you on that. If you are going to run turbo, it's going to be difficult to run nitrous, unless you plan on running a huge snail and using nitrous to spool it up on the line- only the craziest of the crazy will spray all the way through booost and it basically a bad idea- I hope that helps a bit- good luck homie and welcome to hondaswap :wave:

I thought the B18C6/7 was a engine that came out of the JDM INTEGRA TYPE-R 1996+ cars and it had like 200 horse power. The F20 is the motor out of the S2000. This has 245 horses. I am not familiar with the B18B. Is it like the B18B1? I thought that had only 140 horses? I would figure anything from the B18C series would be dang good.

Thanks for the welcome.

F20C is an s2k motor. It'll cost a butt load more then 6k to get one into a civic, I'm sorry.

I'd go b18c and a good bolt on turbo kit with an equal length manifold, the usual fmic, bov, etc, and a clutch/flywheel upgrade while you're at it. That should put you where you want to be around 6k.

doesn't the s2k motor spin the opposite direction, since it's a rear-wheel drive car? has that swap ever been done?

whoops, my bad, i was thinking f22 out of the non vtec preludes and accords- my bad- and i haven't heard of someone doing the rear wheel drive swap with an f20c into a civic, but i'm sure it has been, i live in a cave-

Yes, you do live in a cave...

B18C6/7 do exist, just not in the US. I'm pretty sure that they're EDM (European) engines.

The F20C is a K block. Lots of EG chassis have been receiving K20s and K24s lately. An F20C swap it doable.

whitecat- If you're looking to do something really cheap but still pretty quick, I would do some research and drop in a B18B with a turbo on top. Piece together your own turbo setup from scratch so you save a good bit of money, then drop in the B18 on your own too. Install everything in your own garage, then take it somewhere to get tuned.

If you want to have someone else do the work but still have a pretty quick setup, you might want to just consider swapping in an Integra Type-R engine. That swap installed by someone else will probably run you pretty close to your budget, but it'll still be pretty quick, and the engine will be as reliable as the day it left the factory.

If your Civic is an EX, another option for you is to buy a really well put together turbo kit and install it on your D16Z6. The single cam VTEC D blocks can put out quite a bit of power with a well tuned turbo kit. I've seen many examples pushing 220whp (about 250-260 at the crank) with all stock internals, and they all ran for well over 25k miles. You'll have to check and make sure that your engine is in good shape though.

but......well they're not in the motor list in the reference section.....sorry, i just assumed the referece section was basically the master list of honda motors, my bad for the misinformation guys

Nope- there's a ton of stuff missing from it... but we do have most of the USDM and JDM engines in there. Other markets are a little harder to get information on.

Well these are my choices so far and what I think the engines swap in parts will cost.. Labor is not included, because I have no way of gauging it. Shipping is variable as well. Assuming I can not get it locally, I think adding 400 dollars might be about average.

B16A SIR 2. HP 160 to 170 OBD1 1800 to 2500 dollars.
No idea about turbos or what to do and how much it cost to set it up to handle turbo. Seems the easiet to put in, which with the old adage of time is money.. Might be the best bet.
B16B HP 185 3300 to 4000 dollars.
No idea about turbos or what to do and how much it cost to set it up to handle turbo. Harder to put in.

B18C Different Varieties 3000 to 4200 dollars 170 to 200 HP again no idea about turbos or what to do and how much it cost to set it up to handle turbo.

H22A 200 HP.. Darn cheap. 1200 to 2000 dollars. Some effort to put this baby in, but I heard it can be done. This is including pounding out some firewall and losing the AC and maybe adding a radiator. Again no idea about turbos or what to do and how much it cost to set it up to handle turbo. I heard you have some VTEC issues as well due to low RPM.

H22 220 HP 3500 and up Not sure if it can be done, but if the H22A can fit, I would figure this can. Again no idea about turbos or what to do and how much it cost to set it up to handle turbo.

F20C 245 HP.. 4000 and up.. No idea if it can even be done. Again no idea about turbos or what to do and how much it cost to set it up to handle turbo.

Am I missing something?

CRV? I hear that just bolts in, but only has 140HP..Cost less than 1500
I wonder if you can turn it into a DOHC VTEC engine somehow cost effectively.

K20 engines..Not sure if worth the effort, and not sure can be done cost effectively. Price way above 4000.

So...I am not taking in account parts for certain engines for modifications are cheaper than others.. This is because, I don't know what is cheaper. It is why I am asking you guys.

Whitecat31

b18c - JDM GSR/ITR depending
b18c1 - USDM GSR
b18c2 - Australian GSR
b18c3 - 95-97 ITR in phillipeans/etc
b18c4 - European Civic VTi
b18c5 - USDM ITR
b18c6 - European ITR
b18c7 - Australian ITR

yes, they do exist

as for what's good for you-

doing a swap and a complete turbo setup for 6 grand is going to be tough on any motor. I'd suggest skipping it.

I'd drop in a GSR or ITR if you want a little more out of it, and put the rest into suspension, brakes, and a day or two at a track.

Back