what would you do?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ef9civicgen4

alright a have a d15b in right now thats about to crap out on me. i have about $700 right now, i can get a d16a6 for $400 (and it is a simple swap.) i have been trying to save up for a b16. now, should i go ahead and buy/swap the d16 or risk driving it for the next six months and swap the b16.

If you are going to do a sohc swap look for the sohc VTEC ZC, D16z6 or the d16y8. Much better motors for about the same price.

Originally posted by sohcslammer@Sep 3 2003, 03:54 PM
If you are going to do a sohc swap look for the sohc VTEC ZC, D16z6 or the d16y8. Much better motors for about the same price.

hey but i would have to run all the vtec wiring, sensors, ect. i want this one to be fast and painless. plus, if i go vtec it will be with the b16.

If you don't want to deal with VTEC then I would save up for the B16 or go with a B18b. The B18b is an under-rated motor, especially in a lighter civic. Stay away from the sohc non-VTEC motors tho, they suck big time.

I think you should go with the D16z6, ive had great experiences with it, i actually love that motor. Im about to swap out my zc for one, im gonna turbo it fully built with pistons and rods

Originally posted by sohcslammer@Sep 3 2003, 04:08 PM
If you don't want to deal with VTEC then I would save up for the B16 or go with a B18b. The B18b is an under-rated motor, especially in a lighter civic. Stay away from the sohc non-VTEC motors tho, they suck big time.

Yah, I would go with the b18b! Do not screw around with the d series engine's! Unless you do not car about hp an tq!!

Originally posted by SLA@Sep 3 2003, 05:36 PM
Yah, I would go with the b18b! Do not screw around with the d series engine's! Unless you do not car about hp an tq!!

Actually I used to have a civic with the D16z6 motor and I smoked every LS integra I ever raced by at least 3 cars. The D16z motor is a great motor too, just not worth it if you can start with a B series. The B series just has more aftermarket support and all the parts are interchangeble. It's better to start off with the slowest B series and make it faster. With the D16z6 you already have the fastest D series so interchangeble parts are irrelevent.

stay away from sohc NON VTEC go with a D16Y8 dont get the D16Z6. with the Y8 you can use an '88- '91 SI distributer, and save yourself alot of hassle in wiring in obd1 which i have done before. if you use the z6 you wont be able to adjust your timing very much but it will work if that is all you have. that was my most recent swap.the single vtec will hold up strong in the quarter against a b16. if you go with a d16y8 you can just use an '88-'91 Si comp and pick up a used vtec controller for about a hundred bucks. even with out the controller your car will operate fine until you can afford a controller. when you do a B series swap your going to spend about 1500 to $2000 on your swap plus $300 to $500 on the mounts then you still have to shave your front mount then you have to cut and weld your shift linkages. but hey its call. this will help in your desicion.

Back