What would you do?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

asmallsol

Super Moderator
I have been searching for Scoobies for a while, and now I am on spring brake, back in the detroit area (vs BFE Upper Pennisula Michigan) I have a few more cars to pick from.

Anyways, I am just looking at 2.5RS 98-01 or a high millage WRX (but thats a long shot). Today, I drove a 98 that was a POS. CEL, would stall at idle, and while driving, I would blip the throttle, and the rpms wouldn't go up. On top of that, when I am inspecting it, there are a bunch of wires cut in the truck, the car was a qt and a half low on oil, and there was an oil leak on PCV system.

I was on auto trader, and found a 99 2.5RS. It has 81k miles, clean body, clean title, and 2k miles ago, his head gasket blew and he melted the engine block so he took it to subaru and they replaced it with a brand new engine. It has a one year unlimited mile warentee on the engine, which expires around the first of next year. Has new tires and brakes.

He is asking 10,300 and will go down a little bit. The KBB Private party price is 8,300 for a perfect one with that year and milage, but I rarely see them going for that price.

Now the question is, is a new engine worth 1,500 or so over blue book price?

Considering that the dealer will usually charge $5000-6000 to replace an engine with a brand new one from the factory, $1500 isn't bad at all. It's not like he got one from a junkyard and dropped it in like most of us Honda guys- it's a factory brand new engine. That's actually pretty nice.

make sure they got papers from the subaru dealer to prove it.

he has all paper work. The engine has a one year, unlimited miles warranty from Scoobie USA. I drove it yesterday (its all they way out in pittsburgh) the car is clean as hell. Paint is in great shape, zero mods (mmmm virgins) drove great, silver (one of my favorite colors on that car) clutch feels good... I am in love.

As for the sol, yep, I am letting her go. Going to try and get 6k for it. My dad is also looking to buy the sol from me. He loved them before I did, and he always wanted one, but my mom said no saying he has 3 kids and the sol has 2 seats. Now that we are all older, he was going to use that as his fun car.

I am going to miss it. The scoobie is deathly slow compared to the sol (16.6 1/4, vs my 14.5's) and you can't beat the 35mpg that I have been getting with my car. Top down in the summer is also great.

awesome. is it a four door or two door? imo, 4drs look the best.... since its an rs, does it come with the fogs and wing?

It might be slow compared to the Sol, but what did your Sol run stock? You're starting with a higher platform on the RS, so you'll be able to go faster. :)

I pulled a 16.6 I believe when my sol was stock. Scoobie will stay slow for a while since this is going to wipe out my money for a while. The only things that I have planned in the near future (that means this year lol) are some either springs and shocks or coilovers, bigger rear sway bar with better endlinks, better brake pads, and a yakima ski rack with bike attachment.

Sean, Its a 2dr. I love the 2drs. Since it is a 99, it has the HUGE fog lights, and the ITR height spoiler.

$1500 :)

ok, nevermind.. lol

i would if i had room... but damn, 3 cars is enough right now... i gotta get rid of one myself soon...

Probably not... we'll just have to ban him when he doesn't post pictures of the car with its top off. :lol: :blink:

Back