What year did airbags start?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

deanex

Hey,
I am in the process of buying a CRX, but the one set back is that to my understanding they don't have airbags in any of the models (correct me if I'm wrong). I've seen 92 civics with a drivers airbag, and 91 accords with an airbag, so why doesn't the crx have one? And more importantly, can the steering wheel/airbag setup from a 92 civic or accord be retrofitted into the CRX? And what if the car has a different engine?

Thanks

It would be one expensive project. Even buying all the stolen goods off ebay will run you over $1,000. Sensors have to mounted in certain areas, wiring needs to be ran, you'll need a whole SRS unit to control it, and retrofitting a dash with airbags would be even more of a hassle. Possible? Yes. Practical? No.

Even if you were able to get all the parts and install them, I sure as hell wouldn't trust an airbag retrofit to save you when you hit something. The airbag systems from the factory all have a ton of engineering and testing behind them, and they're all built to mesh with the car that they belong in. Try to add one yourself, and you may end up hurting or killing yourself instead of preventing injury/death when you get into a wreck. It's not worth the risk.

Originally posted by Calesta@Jun 14 2004, 01:17 PM
The airbag systems from the factory all have a ton of engineering and testing behind them, and they're all built to mesh with the car that they belong in.

and they STILL have problems

Try to add one yourself, and you may end up hurting or killing yourself instead of preventing injury/death when you get into a wreck.

:werd:

It's not worth the risk.

:werd: x100

Thanks a lot. So if the CRX's didn't have airbags then what year were airbags available in the civics. I'm almost certain I've seen a driver's airbag in the 92's but what year were passenger airbags available?

Thanks

Originally posted by deanex@Jun 15 2004, 05:05 PM
Thanks a lot. So if the CRX's didn't have airbags then what year were airbags available in the civics. I'm almost certain I've seen a driver's airbag in the 92's but what year were passenger airbags available?

Thanks

94 I believe started the passengerside ones.

Back