What you would pay for a 300zx

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

totalburnout

VIP
Okay, so the Sol is pretty much SOL and beat up pretty good.

I got an insurance check for 1400, from when the car got hit in the side. Its pretty badly rusted on the rear quarterpanel and needs a bunch of body work to make it perfect. [fender needs replacement, dents need to be pulled, etc.] The car has 112,000 miles on it and is only a S model with a weak transmission. It still runs and all, but it would be nice to get something new....but then again I'm going off to college next fall and don't want to spend too much.

I see a '87 300zx turbo limited edition, in white, and with t-tops in the paper for 2600. Its in good condition, so the ad claims. It has 125k on the car, and the blue book is 2300. I'm thinking about selling the sol for like 1500 and then taking that and the insurance money and buying a 300zx but I'm taking a big loss on the sol...even though there's nothing really I can do about it. I would rather a 90+ 300zx because i like the body styling better but ic ould live with a 300zx, especially if its affordable.

what do you think?

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Oct 21 2003, 11:19 PM
ehh.. the older ones don't do it for me...

yeah i don't know if i said it in the original post because it was late last night and i wasn't thinking, but i like 90+'s...but those are a hella lot more expensive. this would be a fine playtoy for me i think...especially because it has t tops

i just bought an 87 silver 300zx turbo about 2 weeks ago. i paid 2500 for it with 130k miles on it. interior pretty much mint and body in great condition. paint wouldnt hurt it.

id pay nothing...cuz those are still not that great. atleast from ones ive seen/been in.

Dude... those things are pieces of garbage.

I'm sorry, they're butt-ass ugly and they really don't withstand the test of time. They fall apart easily and the engine bay is so cramped that working on them is a total pain in the ass. They are also slugs from the factory. The non-turbo ones get owned by LS Integras and the turbo really isn't much better. I owned my friend's '84 turbo model by at least four car lengths. And that was at the top of third gear. They really aren't worth more than about a grand. Seriously, save up your money and swap something worthwhile into the Sol, you'll end up with a faster car that looks a trillion times better. I apologize in advance to any hardcore Nissan proponents out there, but anything that ugly should be cast into the pits of hell and forgotten. <_<

Originally posted by sleepergtx@Oct 21 2003, 10:49 PM
I'd offer 2000 for it.

Thats what I was thinking of doing, offer 2000 and say I wouldn't pay more than blue book for it, if he didn't take that

Originally posted by dohch22a4@Oct 22 2003, 06:44 PM
Dude... those things are pieces of garbage.

I'm sorry, they're butt-ass ugly and they really don't withstand the test of time. They fall apart easily and the engine bay is so cramped that working on them is a total pain in the ass. They are also slugs from the factory. The non-turbo ones get owned by LS Integras and the turbo really isn't much better. I owned my friend's '84 turbo model by at least four car lengths. And that was at the top of third gear. They really aren't worth more than about a grand. Seriously, save up your money and swap something worthwhile into the Sol, you'll end up with a faster car that looks a trillion times better. I apologize in advance to any hardcore Nissan proponents out there, but anything that ugly should be cast into the pits of hell and forgotten. <_<

Sol = done.

killed, bad, ugh, ohhhh.

no swap.

even if it had a good body on the car, which it doesn't I don't have the tools or the real knowledge to swap. my car has had a tranny with bad synchros since i bought it because i refuse to pay 1200 to get a rebuild and have it installed. if i knew how to do some of this stuff, i would but the car really isn't worthwhile to put money into.

and fyi, an '87 ZXT would run a 15.8 or 15.9...but in 90 the ZXTT's jump down to 14.1 1/4's

Originally posted by New2TheCarScene@Oct 22 2003, 03:54 PM

and fyi, an '87 ZXT would run a 15.8 or 15.9...but in 90 the ZXTT's jump down to 14.1 1/4's

Did I say anything about the '90+ turbo sleds? No.

Those cars are reasonably quick. What I said was that the pre '90's 300ZX's are slow and tend to break down frequently. The amount of engineering commited to these two generations are not even remotely comparable. In my opinion they are not worth any amount of money more than maybe a grand because they are ugly pieces of garbage that can't even keep up with my slightly peppy car. Goddamn, boosted B18's have spoiled me... My GSR hatch doesn't even seem fast anymore... :(

Back