Whats an alternator cut off switch?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Canuck 93 Civic Si

One of my co-workers is telling me that if i want to do any autoX or drag racing, that i need an alternator cut off switch, or something to that effect. He says i need this because my bettery is in the trunk. When i asked him why, he replied :shrug2: . Anyone care to explain a little further?

And while im on the topic of batteries, anyone know if i need to seal my battery in a box? It is on of those spiral core spilles batteries. Not an optima, but similar design. There are no vents in it and its says that there is a gass absorbant mambrane inside that turns the hydrogen and oxygen that is prodused during charging back into water, making it maintenance free. "Its tomorrows technology in your vehicle today" :lol: . They are sold at Canadian Tire under the Eliminator brand.

Thanks
Sean

Originally posted by H22AdelSol@Feb 24 2004, 07:00 PM
hydrogen and oxygen that is prodused during charging back into water

kind of what a fuel cell does?

Kind of, but on a much smaller scale then a fuel cell and for a different reason. Reason being so that there is no explsive gas produced by the battery, and so you dont need to fill it ever again.

you dont need to fill it ever again.

sweet! An alternator cut off switch is probaly exactly what it means, it stops the battery from getting a charge. You buddy probaly was thinking about his boyfriend when he heard all this and didnt understand it. SO when he passed it on to you it wasnt even close to what he heard. :D

Back