Whats an easy way to remove the cam gear

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

fionntan

Banned
I have to replace the cam gear oil seals and I am wondering if there is an easy way to hold the cams still while I take off the bolts. I have tried to do this before and have not been successfull. Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated.

sorry dude but do it the right way........take off timming belt valve cover and u know the rest if u did it before.cant mess anything up by doing it the right way!!!!

yea what ever tools u have just do it the right way...this dude is trying to take cam seals out with out takein the cams out thats what it sounds like

I dont have a problem doing things the right way, I just want to do them the easiest way, and yes I am trying to replace the oil seals. Do you have to take the cams all the way out to replace the seals? I thought you could do it with the cams in. I dont have an air ratchet on hand, but I might be able to use one at someones else's house if I have take the cams all the way out.

Last edited:
If I remember correctly the cam seals sit in a grove on the head, then there is a cap that's torqued down above it. So your going to have to remove the cam gear with a small torqued impact or air ratchet wrench. Might as well inspect your cam and lifters. Make sure there's no serious wear, from dry starts, or bad lubrication. Make sure to remove the distributor and replace the O-ring on it as well.

I just rebuilt the engine, so I know that everything else is ok. I thought the seals were good that is why I didnt replace them in the first place. I will just have to remove the gears and replace the seals. Can they be removed without an impact wrench? I dont have one. I can maybe go to someones house and use theirs, but I would have to remove the cams and take them with me. Then there is the problem of trying to remove the bolts while holding the cams.

I dont have a problem taking them out. I just need to get the cam gears off first. If I take them out then it will be even harder to take them off. Are there any tricks for holding the cams still while I take the bolts off.

one ur cam should be a place to hold the cam itself w a wrench then u can break the cam gear bolt loose.. didnt catch what engine or anything, this is how i did it on my b18... if not put leave the timing belt on, and put car in gear, pull e brake. and break it loose that way.... hope this helps

one ur cam should be a place to hold the cam itself w a wrench then u can break the cam gear bolt loose.. didnt catch what engine or anything, this is how i did it on my b18... if not put leave the timing belt on, and put car in gear, pull e brake. and break it loose that way.... hope this helps
Its a b16, but it has aem cam gears. That does help a lot though thanx.

I got them off. I had the old timing belt laying around so I took the good one off, and wrapped the bad one around the exhaust side first. I pulled it down around the torque bracket for leverage and had a friend break the bolt. I did the same thing to the intake side, but I pulled the belt around the strut brace. I used the technique to torque them down again once I was done.

Back