Whats better for Gas Milage, B16 or B20

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

justaquestion

I have a unique choice. I have a complete B16A2 swap with 50K on it, and also a new B20B sitting in my shop. The B20 litterally has less than 1K on it. One of these motors is getting put into a 99 DX that we use as a daily driver. It will never see the track. I know an LS trans runs 500 rpm lower than the B16, so in either case, I'm going to use an LS trans I have from a 98 teg.

Now here's my question, does anyone have experience with this set up? And if so, which gives better gas milage/driveability? Getting 30+ mpg has been great! But alas, the D16 non vtech has 290K on it, and frankly, I'd like to finally get up to speed in under an hour :).

I have a full blown B20/Vtec in a 92 hatch for the track. So this swap is staying bone stock, aside from a header and 2.5 exhaust the whole way back.

Thanks guys!

I don't think there would be that much of a difference, the b16 would scientifically get better gas mileage, but with the higher rpm and vtec would you be able to keep your foot out of it?
The vtec engine is also really designed for fuel economy, where the LS engines were not. All of honda's engines get fairly good gas mileage anyway, I would say the b16 would be the way to go.

I wouldn't use the LS tranny on a B16. Its set up to work with an engine that has more torque than the B16. My friend has a B16 that he got from HMotorsOnline.com and because of a shortage or something they upgraded him to a GSR tranny. Well because that is also set up for more torque the car is a dog until he gets into higher rpms. He gets beat off the line by D-series all day.

Go with the B20 and tune it very thoroughly at partial throttle.

If you go with a b 16 you will be unable to rip vtec all the time(who can help it).
Therefore you should go with an ls tranny which is made for fuel economy and will be easyer to stay out of the upper cam profile .

Back