what's better?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SPEEDFREAK0920

i finally get my 5 g's on monday so its time to really decide on an engine swap. i want something that will give me the most bang for the buck. it will be my daily driver (except winter) and weekend drag racer. i have a 92 civic dx hatch with short ram,aerospeed exhaust with 2 1.5 inch. piping,header,and coilovers. i want to atleast be in the low low 14 to mid 14 sec. range or better. i plan on saving around 1500 for suspension/rims/seats/ and all other minor mods. so that leaves me with 3500 on the complete engine swap. does any1 have an h22 hatch? how much did the whole swap cost you (including labor,axles,etc.)?is it worth it? any1 with a b16/b18c1 hatch? was it hard to swap and how long did it take?is it fast enough? this would be my first time doing an engine swap. this forum usually gives great replies so hope to get some good advice. thanks for responding and helping me out.....again! need advice QUICK!!!!!!!! PAYCE

just get a b16a and rebuild it with some high cr pistons, and some nice cams and hondata. That shouldn't run you too much more than 3500 if you shop around.
Look and Import Builders products for some good stuff. Skunk2 makes some decent cams too if you are going to stay N/A.

i helped Knives swap a jdm h22a into his 99 hatch...it cost around 5kish to get everything 100% right, and that's with us doing all the work.went with the hasport mount kit, hasport axles, and a PYR chipped p28...it ran a 14.00 his first day at the track. it wasnt any harder than my b16 swap, and no matter what anyone says about h22 swaps, it still handles like a Honda.

up until a few weeks ago, I had a jdm b16a in my 98 fo-do. with only intake/exhaust and an ITR tranny, i ran 14.80's on street tires. fucking dog......

another local guy here has a b18c1 in a 92 hatch. ran 14.1's on drag radials off the bottle, and 12.40's on spray. before he started spraying, he got wasted by a b16 94 hatch with i/h/e, cams, pistons, and a vafc (or something to that effect).

built b16>everything. b16's are cheap as shit, and easy as hell to come by.

Yo dood,

IMO, the B16A would totally be the way to go. Definately the best bang for the low budget swapper like myself. I pretty much have the same hatch you do (93 DX) and am totally happy with it. I came from driving a 97 Accord all riced out with rims and such, and the first time I drove my civic after the swap (when everything was actually done), I nearly shit my pants. I didn't think it was going to be anywhere close to as fast as it is. It feels pretty cool to burn rubber through third gear. The actual swap would be a perfect one to start with, and anyone who is mechanically inclined wont have many problems. Word to the wise: Dont go blowing all your money on Tony Jabroni parts quite yet. During a swap, anything that can go wrong, usually does, so save some cash for problems you might, and will run into. The swap took my and my brother the majority of a weekend to complete. Check out the FAQ's in this forum to see the process and tool roster for the swap. Helped me HUGE!!
Although the B16A is a great swap, that's not to say that the other two you mentioned aren't great as well. It's just that that they will cost you alot more.

Keep in mind one of the absolute BEST mods you can do is to take a performance driving course. Learn how to drive you car the right way. Because after you've spent all the time and money on your new car, it would be a shame to be called on by a Tiburon and get smoked.

Get a B16A,
Hondata,
Tune it,
Learn to drive it.

Have fun dood.

hey thanks bros for all the advice...so b16 is the choice so far. shit 5k for the h22 swap! is that just getting a stock h22 in the ride or was that including all the aftermarket bolt ons? that seems pretty steep but i'll def. take ur word for it, thanks for getting me outta that.damn so that wouldn't put me into the range im looking for, that's shitty... so what are the first things i should get for the b16? pistons and use my stock rods? hondata? cams (better choice than others?) is changing out cams and rods difficult?how long do u guyz think doing all this stuff will take? cuz im gonna be doing this outta my garage with a buddy from school. sorry for askin so many questions but im just kinda nervous cuz this is going to be the first time doing any of this major engine work. i prob. sound like a pussy but i dont wanna f*ck up. thanks again to all who respond . PAYCE

B18C1 I say. I have some friends in the high 12's with i/h/e pistons and cams and their cars are not tuned so just think what they would run if they were tuned.

i'd say build up the b16 if you are not going to put any more money into the car... i was going to get a b16 but my dad offered to put up the extra money for a b18c swap :D

Hi

I say go with a B18c1 you should be able to get into one for your $3500. I put one in a 94 EX and it was my first time. You should be able to do it in a weekend. Hopefully you have some friends that can help. The reason I would go B18C1 is because you should be right around 14 with just a stock swap, Then you can always add to it when you get more money.

Chris

dont get me wrong dude....h22 hatches are NASTY....

Back