whats the best 5 speed cable trans to put in a 91 hatch

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

tim lyons

Hello im new to the site. Im restoring a 1991 honda 4 speed 1.5 hatch with mpg in mind. Im going to be swapping the trans for a 5 speed. Can someone please tell me the best 5 speed cable trans I should look for. I see different ratios, splines and lsd. Im mostly interested in mpg. Also would A head swap be worth while? Any info greatly appreciated. Thanks

your best bet is probably the transmission from an 89-91 (not 88) CRX DX or Civic DX/LX - you could also use the 89-91 CRX HF which has really long gear ratios, however, it would most likely not help your mpg

There were at least 2 models, dx and si. possibly hf that year as well (not sure?) each with different set ups. do you know which one?

There were at least 2 models, dx and si. possibly hf that year as well (not sure?) each with different set ups. do you know which one?
yes, there was an HF model CRX in 91

Thank you very much. I found a 1991 cable crx trans assy for sale. would that be a good choice?
it will work, however, if it is the Si model it will be geared very low which will increase the rpm when driving resulting in a drop in gas mileage

Uggg thats a problem because thats why I want to swap for a five speed. My rpm presently is high going 65 mph. Is there any where I can find out a trans model # so I dont end up making matters worse? Thanks

My 91 civic I think got a little better gas mileage with the si tranny over the dx. It was a little better or the same, 14 years ago so I don't remember. But the si tranny was a lot more fun to drive with.

If your after MPGs I would leave the 4 in it and drive it like your grandmother would. After all that's the way Honda had initially intended it to be driven. Remember as a general rule of thumb as HP and driving "fun" increases your MPGs decrease. :thumbsup:

Have you considered going to a larger tire combo instead? you can effectively numerically increase your final drive ratio by utilizing a larger wheel/tire combo, like a 205/40/17 which is 3 or 4% taller than the oem 13"s

I see the different models you have listed, If I was going to purchase a cable trans out of the 1989-1991 trans what model would you suggest i purchase that would work the best for what im looking for?

Back