Whats the best combo out of these?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Jeef

NO MA'AM
VIP
I have three d series engines at my disposal. The 89 d16a6 in my crx, a 93-95 d16z6, and a 00 d16y8 (it needs to be rebuilt, hopefully the block and head are in good condition). What would be the best head/ block combo? I want to run higher comrpession, probably no higher than 12.5 I will probably end up running zc pistons and rods, but am open to other suggestions. This is going to be my daily driver, so it needs to be streetable. I would not like to touch the a6 motor unless it is the best block to start with, as I would like to do a direct swap to save down time, and build a panda motor out of it for futrue use. I am probably going to go with a mild street cam and aftermarket springs and valves if required. I am trying to stick on a budget. Any sugguestions?

I would run any of the blocks with ZC pistons, with either the z6 or y8 head, I do not think it makes that much of a difference, although some one might be able to prove me wrong. However i would definatly run the y8 intake manifold, I was debating putting that intake manifold on my N/A 1.5l, but I gave up on the project to get my B16 going.

y8 head and y8 IM are the way to go.

the rest of the blocks are pretty much identical as for as size and shape are concerned

The D16A6 has twice as many oiling passages for the crank compared to the Z6 and Y8 so it's better lubed, but that's a minor issue... most everything else is the same.

id go with the y8 head, it has quench zones unlike the other d series heads, which will help keep detonation down at that high c/r.

Cool, I think that I am going to just build the y8 block and head, if its rebuildable. I could then sell the z6 to buy more parts with. Also I won't have to worry about engineering the distributor. I think that I am going to use a vtec controller with the a6 ecu. I would do a mini-me with the a6 block but I dont want the down time. Now to figure out which engine combo I want to use.

Rebuild the Y8... you'll get the highest compression because you'll be using the smallest OEM D series combustion chambers.

Combo- I would drop in the DOHC ZC pistons, a Crower stage 3 cam with matching valvetrain upgrade, port/polish by someone good, then tune the hell out of it.

Back