whats the best swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ride to nhance

aight, i just got a 93 civic and looking to do an engine swap. What would be best?
a price range would be good too.

Thx :spin:

you aren't going to get alot of replies with a topic like this. for the most part people get pissed when people ask general questions like this

I would suggest reading some of the articles on this site to learn more about the different swaps that you could do on your car and then ask some more specific questions

a general response though would be that any B engine is going to be a pretty good swap, all depends on what you want out of it and how much you have to spend

OK.....:mellow: As I said I just purchased a 93 civic si, I wanna do an engine swap, i got about 6k to spend. Im not looking to race all the time just on occassions and wanna put a decent set of balls under the hood. I have been told that a GSR or Prelude engine would be good, but still looking for advice.

Thx..

I look into swaps all the time to, but have come to find out the B18's are the best. The H22's are heavier and are harder to find the better parts for. It is also more expensive. We have 3 B18B motors and are looking for B18C motors. GSR is the way to go. That motor will run you about $3K to $4K. You can add a turbo or supercharger at any time and it's bolt on. If you want the master of the motor check out www.ericksracing.com He seem to have it all figured out.

questions to ask yourself so that we can assist you.....

1)What are your goals = occasional racing, good all around power.

2)What kinda of power are you looking for = ?

3)do you have a good mechanical background = ?

4)will you be doing the swap yourself, or are you gonna hire
Someone to do it for you?

5)Do you want to go all motor, or forced induction = ?

6)Do you want to blow the hole 6 grand on the swap = ?

there is no answer to the question "what's best?". you have to have an idea of what you want (goal wise) and until then, it's near impossible to help you.

OH! Also we tested a 92 hatchback with the gsr motor and lightened the car to 1900 lbs. It runs about as fast as a 911 on a road course. This car can fly. Most Honda Challenge guys use the b18c1 and good suspensions. I don't know what you want to do but having a car that can out perform a $80,000 car is impressive to me. Straight speed is what Erick's Racing knows. We are learning Road Course Speed! I hope you get what you need. Also the B16 A is a great motor to mess with. It's of course lighter then the B18. Again all the same things apply. Easy to turbo and supercharge if you want. That would blow your 6k.

Originally posted by ride to nhance@Jul 28 2003, 02:57 PM
aight, i just got a 93 civic and looking to do an engine swap. What would be best?
a price range would be good too.

Thx :spin:

I don't think there is a "best" engine, it really depends on what you do to it, how its built etc (a well built Turbo B18B will spank a stock GSR B18C and the B18b is a lot cheaper and easier to find)

If your are looking to just drop in an engine and go, then the GSR would work just fine for you. This is my favorite, if you got the cash for it. :driver:

H22's are much heavier then B-series ( I think like 90lbs heavier or something) and the install is more involved then a simple B-series swap. H22's are cheaper then B18c's.

If you want to try your hand at some engine building then a B20/VTEC would be an interesting project.

I enjoy most of what was said but the turbo b18b spanking a stock motor is just common sense. Turbo the b18c and you'll never look at the b18b again. That is why DART makes B18 blocks GSR. They also make one 2.0 liters. OH that would be the shit.....With a VTEC head and TURBO. The tested the 1.8 in Honda Tuner and it blasted 530 HP. SICK

It really depends but I always say if you are going NA then the jdm/usdm R motor will do along with a usdm/jdm B18c, the b18c's gearing is very good but the R's is the best. If you are going turbo the GSR-b18c1 is the way to go.

Stick with a 1.8 or higher, not saying you can't make power with a b16 because you can but as a starting point most are happier wtih the 1.8.

Milan

IF YOU GO WITH A H22 YOU WILL HAVE TO REMOVE YOUR AC AND POWER STEERING. SOME PEOPLE DON'T CARE ABOUT THOSE THINGS, I LIKE A FAST CAR WITH SOME LUXURIES. WITH YOUR 6K, GO WITH A B18C5 OR A B16B. BOTH BOLT DIRECTLY IN. I DRIVE A 92 SI HATCH.

definetly go with a b18, i had a b16a in my 92 hatch and now i put in a b18c1... now thats a difference, with only an intake and stock gsr exhaust i have been whoppin ass.

dude what B means is

GSR= B18c1 = Integra Vtec 1.8L
B18B= Integra Non-Vtec 1.8L

b18b and GSR are not the same engine.

GSR = strong N/A motor
B18b is cheaper and easy to turbo.

fuck doch..save urself the money ...go for a single cam few mods n a turbo. ull end up spankin b series motors for a lil less $ if u shop rite

Back