What's The Best Tranny Upgrade For A B16a1

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

blacura93

I have a B16A1 engine that will be going in a 93 integra. I was wondering wether the cable transmission which it came with is a decent transmission, or wether it will be more trouble than it is worth to install. My plans are to lower compression and turbo the engine, if there is a more suitable transmission, I would like to hear about it. Is the transmission on the B16A2 better? I would also like to hear of any feedback on the B16A1 engine.

If your going turbo you may want to go with the ls tranny that is in your car now for the longer gears.

lol thats wrong. I still reccomend an ITR with LS 5th for turbo. The longer gears of an LS is a negligable advantage depending on the size of the turbo.

yes but the itr gears are just to sort to mate with an engine with a 7k redline

there are so many factors, who says the redline would be there at the end of the build etc.

And I couldn't really know if he was going to be on good tires, because with an ITR or b16a, with turbo, yes if it's on shitty tires there could be traction problems

i'd keep the b16 tray and put a limited slip i it, i'm totally ssatisfied with mie, if i did't have those short gears i'd be screwed, but they help me beat a newer vtec prelude so.. keep it up grade later when you have money to throw around

:ph34r: :ph34r: THE LS TRANNY IS A GOOD CHOICE IT HAS LONGER GEARS HOWEVER I WOULD HAVE USED A LOWER COMPRESSION MOTOR FOR A TURBO BUT IF ANY TRANNY I WOULD PICK A STOCK JDM LSD TRANNY THEY ARE HARD TO FIND BUT GRAB ONE IF YOU CAN

Originally posted by SUPERFLY XSI@Apr 12 2003, 09:01 PM
:ph34r:  :ph34r: THE LS TRANNY IS A GOOD CHOICE IT HAS LONGER GEARS HOWEVER I WOULD HAVE USED A LOWER COMPRESSION MOTOR FOR A TURBO BUT IF ANY TRANNY I WOULD PICK A STOCK JDM LSD TRANNY THEY ARE HARD TO FIND BUT GRAB ONE IF YOU CAN

loose the caps retard. it has been determined that the ls tranny IS NOT the best tranny for turbo and that it was just an internet myth. a gsr tranny would keep you in your power band better. and what "JDM LSD" tranny were you recommending?

EDIT: as for your requested feedback on the b16a. it's a good engine... but not in a teg. your car is just too heavy. once you boost it you'll be fine. but if you can afford it, a gsr would be a much better choice. and if not the gsr, then get an LS. b16's in tegs are dumb.

Originally posted by viciousracing@Apr 10 2003, 09:54 PM
S80 or Y80

Those are hydraulic trannies,93 teg was still cable.Hook up with a YS1 GSR cable tranny from a B17A1,it has the same FD as the B18A1's YS1,but shorter gears inbetween.

the particular tranny you choose, really comes down to gearing.
gearing depends on horsepower
and all that depends on tire/slick size.

the FASTEST your car will make it in the quarter mile is with a particalur tire size/gearing that will allow you to cross the traps at the very top of your power band in 4th gear.

using our b-series tranny guide . . .
https://hondaswap.com/articles/viewer.php?id=54

with standard street tire, 205/50/15 and a 94+ gsr tranny, 4th gear tops out at 120mph
unless your car is running less than mid 11s, you won't top out the gsr tranny, and that is in fact too tall of a geared tranny.
now lets take the 93 gsr tranny... same tire. you top out 4th at just under 113mph.... high 12s? not sure... needless to say, the 93 gsr tranny is a better choice unless you a stupid fast. that, and its cable.

the cable LS tranny will top out at 133 in 4th gear. you aren't trapping 133 in your street tires. the SiR will top out at 113 as well. so hrm...

gsr and the b16 both have 4th gear being the same potential... what about the middle?
the b16 will actually be LONGER in 2nd and 3rd gears, there fore, making the gsr the overall best choice.

im not going to bring in the ITR, cuz its hydrolic.

if i haven't just proved that the gsr tranny is the best, you are a ricer

What am I missing here? I think it's just me. I'm running a B18C5 on a J1 tranny. I finish the 1/4 in the high part of 3rd - just before or just after I hit the 8400 redline, @ 98-99mph? That chart says I should be at 87 @ 8,000rpm. Why the difference?
My issue with my tranny is the gearing doesn't mesh with my Vtec and I'm dropping out of Vtec between gears. I think the long gears are costing me time because that wait for Vtec is horribly long. I also need an LSD. So I've been debating going to a closer ratio tranny with LSD or dropping my Vtec from the stock level and bolting on an LSD. I would greatly appreciate any advice.

sounds like you have an ls tranny... or big ass 18's y0!

Back