What's the best tranny you can build?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

D See 2

Over the winter, I am doing a tranny overhaul. I am starting with a GSR trans. It's getting carbon-coated synchros and a Quaife LSD. While i'm in there, is there any of the gears that I should swap out for other ones? The transmission will get bolted on to a built b16 turbo motor. Like for example, should I use an LS mainshaft since it has a longer 1st gear ratio? Then use the GSR 2nd and 3rd gears? Then b16 4th gears? I'm not saying this is what I think I should do, but you get the point. What would be the best combination of gears? Or should I just stick with the stock GSR gearset?

..if its a track car buy a gear speed tranny......they know their shit...

sorry i had no real info....but they are not that expensive.....

ls final and the lsd will be fine

THE ULTIMATE B TRANSMISSION!! (for street/track)

1st gear= 3.307 (92-93 GSR)
2nd gear= 2.105 (92-93 GSR/95-01 ITR/DelSol VTEC Si)
3rd gear= 1.459 (92-93 GSR)
4th gear= 1.107 (92-93 GSR/95-97 ITR/DelSol VTEC si)
5th gear= 7.14 (94+ Teggy LS)

Final= 4.785 (98-01 ITR)

If you were going to make a straight track trans, I'd trade out 5th gear for a .875 (92-93 GSR)

But, for use on the street, I'd stick with the LS 5th for a cruising gear. Gas mileage, yo! And besides, you will almost never hit 5th on the track.

That transmission will yield a very close ratio, hard accelerating trans. Driven correctly, it should keep you in vtec constantly, until you hit 5th gear, that'll knock the RPMs WAY down. But thats good for a cruising gear.

Play around with this calculator and see what you like, its very helpful figuring out exactly what you want, good luck
Clicky

i was thinking about doing something similar...i was gonna keep my b16 1st and 2nd..go witha gsr 3rd and 4th and get an ls 5th for traveling...

setting up a custom geared tranny is $$$$$
lots of gears don't fit in the spot you want them too, teeth are different, shafr splines are different and so on.

IMO, GSR w/ a quaiffe for the street/strip

i figured it would be some money...i just was thinkin about possibilties since i need to rebuild or buy a new one

thats why i decided to rebuild my b16 tranny....or if someone has a cheap hydro tranny for sale i might pick that up

i need a tranny please...anyone??

i always thought the easiest and best was to take the b16a and just throw the ls 5th on or the itr with the ls 5th. they are the same ratios. they are the closest stock so i wouldnt fuck with anything else

its not nice to thread jack....pm each other

You think that would be good for turbo? Taking into consideration spool time? Like I said, it will be used on a b16a turbo motor. So wouldn't you want the 1st gear to be pretty long (so the turbo will have time to spool up), and then the rest of the gears 2-4 really short since the turbo would already be spooled.?

NO.

Since I've had a turbo LS and used a GSR and LS trans. I have first hand experience, the LS trans is worthless in any type of racing application . The only thing that is good about it is it's 5th gear, and that's only good for gas mileage.

The difference in acceleration between the GSR and LS was like night and day. Unless you have such a powerful car and need to do 175 mph or want the really good gas mileage, there is absolutely no good reason to use that hunk of shit.

Back