what's the diff between a vtec and vtec E motor?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

kingdomracing

Also what engine came in a 97 Civic 4 door? and how much would someone pay for it? I am looking at a wrecked civic right now and need to know if I am getting a good price for the engine...

E = economy, and is a waste if you're trying to make power with it.
found primarily in the 6th gen HX and 5th gen VX model civics here in the states.

97 had 4 common trims:

D16y8 = EX
D16y7 = DX/LX
D16y5 = HX

the y8, id pay 500 for a complete swap, a little more for uber low miles
the other 2, i wouldn't pay $50 for. useless.

i think the E acutally stands for efficiency. i don't really know / care though. the vtec-e only came in the 96-00 civic hx 2dr (maybe some 7th gens too but who cares)

but the hx is actually an interesting bird. this engine intrigued me a little bit a while ago.

first a little break down on vtec-e: at low rpm, one intake valve opens fully. the other one opens just a tiny bit to promote air/fuel swirl in the chamer, and to prevent gas puddling. at the xover point, 2500 i belive, a pin binds both intake valves together, so they both open off the one bigger cam lobe. a little different from the typical sohc vtec found in the y8 and z6. so at low rpms you have good fuel economy for driving around town, and the average midrange and topend.

for more information: www.howstuffworks.com look up vtec and follow the links.

but the y5 is interesting, because it actually has roller rockers (from the s2000 believe it or not). so, this engine could support a seriously agressive cam, while the followers from the y8 would fail. also, the cam that comes in the y5 stock is actually already more agressive than the y8s vtec cam lobe. :eek: and the way the system is set up, you have quite a few options for a cam... it only has 4 lobes ... hrm... ;)

nobody really cares about the y5 and just thinks it's a stupid economy engine. someday when i'm bored and have some extra cash lying around i'm going to do a crazy NA y5 build. i think this engine actually has a lot of potential that nobody has really bothered to tap yet. it's really hindered by the long tranny and intake manifold. both easily fixed.

but yes, the y7 is pretty damn worthless. the y8 is worth about 400-700 bucks. and the y5 well... i don't know. you need to tell us the code on the block and not just the year and model. it could be a dx/lx (bad) or an ex (good).

Originally posted by jwn7@Mar 7 2004, 03:24 PM
i think the E acutally stands for efficiency. i don't really know / care though. the vtec-e only came in the 96-00 civic hx 2dr (maybe some 7th gens too but who cares)

Um, no, the D15Z1 from the 92-95 VX is also a Vtec-e motor.

the E stands for Economy for sure,,,,,read about it tons of times, seen it in honda articles start from the land of the rising sun.

I was looking at Civics on autos.msn.com, and they list the fuel economy of the Civic VX as 47 mpg city, 56 mpg highway. Can anyone confirm this? Is it even close, or is that a bunch of advertising bs?

im pretty sure a vx can get that because my 93 DX coupe with its stock engine got 45mpg average and i was smashing on it too.

Yup, the VX can do it. My DX sedan auto would get 42mpg on the highway running 80mph with about a half ton (literally) of cargo on board.

Originally posted by bcman@Mar 10 2004, 04:46 AM
I was looking at Civics on autos.msn.com, and they list the fuel economy of the Civic VX as 47 mpg city, 56 mpg highway. Can anyone confirm this? Is it even close, or is that a bunch of advertising bs?

Sounds about right from what I remember.

Originally posted by SixtySecondAssassin@Mar 10 2004, 08:36 PM
dont the vtec-e engines use egr valves as well?

The VX does, not sure about the others. And one of hte (or all?) the H22A's do too.

the vx is the same as the vei in europe and that car got some sort of a record back in 92 i think when it drove for 6200km on 200l of fuel managing just under 3l pr/100km. i don´t know what that translates to in mpg but it´s damn impressive!
then from 96-00 we got the 1.5lsi which has a d15z8 engine i think, that is equipped with vtec-II which is a second generation of vtec-e and that car produces 115hp and manages 4,8l pr/100km.

Back