Whats the Differance Between The VTEC & VTEC-E????

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

is there a big power differance between them? I have a 88' CRX Si and i want to put this engine in, will there be a loss of power or gain? i am going for economy.

Originally posted by big bad black 5.9@Jun 3 2004, 04:35 PM
is there a big power differance between them? I have a 88' CRX Si and i want to put this engine in, will there be a loss of power or gain? i am going for economy.

yes; for example the i-vtec in the civic si is 160hp; 2.0L and utilises a vtec-e system. the rsx uses the regular vtec, and makes 200hp. for economy go for vtec-e, regular vtec for power and some economy....3-stage vtec for the best of both worlds; if you can find one (jdm and edm d15b i think)

It is probably just a cam difference, and AF map change between the two motors. Anyone have any hard evidence what exactly are the differences? I would guess that if you got Hondata, and a new camshaft, that the vtec-e motor would work just as well as the regular vtec. i-vtec is on both rsx and civic si models. The i-vtec utilises an adjustable cam timing as well as the different cam lobe profiles. The EP3 civic's vtec lobes are activated a different way, and are more mild than the rsx's k20a2, and so don't preform as well.
Back to the vtec-e, does anyone know if the valves are the same size, does the head flow less, etc? Just trying to help this guy out.

I took out my VTEC-E (D15z1) for a VTEC (D16Z6) Why?

Well, the VX (VTEC-E) is good for 96hp at the flywheel vs 125 for the VTEC.

The pistons are TINY, everything about the head is smaller, from the air intake to the throttle body, IM, exhaust... everything is for efficiency NOT power.

What do you want out of your car? Great gas mileage? Go with VTEC-E.

If you want some symblance (sp?) of power go with ANYTHING else.

Not very technical but you should get the point

if you didn't wanna visit the sights i might have a clue on vtec-e system. "when normally driving, the camlobe only pushes open one intake valve instead of 2. thus creating a swirl effect, and therefore creating good/better fuel mixture. (the head and block....i think are specifically designed to maximize this swirl effect.) when the vtec hits...the camprofiles are changed and now 2 instead of 1 intake valve is lifting. ...."now you're running on 2 valves and the intake valves overlap in degree, or, lift longer." just like regular vtec but with not so much of the lift and overlap. plus the intake and such ports on the vtec-e systems are much smaller...restricting air....

on regular vtec...2 vavles are always running/lifting, but when vtec hits it's a way higher lift and overlap/duration...

vtec-e sucks. you would be better off with a dx motor. unless you want 35 mpg with the vtec-e. i have a 92 vx and it is has vtec-e and is gutless. i almost can't go up hills with it. lol

If you want economy in an OBD 0 car, get an HF engine. 62 HP and 60trq.....and 50 mpg. Its a direct drop in besides the extra vacume stuff, which I can sell you :D. Its MPFI and everything, all you need is the motor, tranny, and ecu.

i was told by a hondatech that the RSX-S uses a tru vtec system <3 rocker arm> where as the Vtec in the Si USDM, isn't a tru Vtec, its only a 2 rockerarm system. Where the SI gradually increases power, the RSX-S make a jump, like prior gen Vtec cars. or atleast that is how i took his explanation, i may be off a lil.

Back