Whats the distance in feet relative to a second?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Hey guys,

Quick question...

If car A runs the 1/4 in say 14 @ 120 and car B runs the 1/4 in 13 @ 120 how far behind will car A be as car B goes through the finish line?

Dummied up Im asking how many car lenghts is a 1 second difference in the 1/4 mile?

Thanks guys

I have to go to a meeting now, but will be back in a few hours to answer this. It might not be the answer you're looking for, because there's too many variables, but if we assume a few things, it's not too hard to answer.

Basicly, theres no way of telling. It depends on the instintanious (sp?) acceleration at all points. Just by giving us the final velocity of the two cars means jack shit.

the scene around me usually equate's a 10 car lead as 1 second. (car the size of a honda/mits)

well if you figure r=d/t 1320ft(1/4 mile) / 14(seconds)=94.28mph i think 1mph = 1.467fps so 94.28*1.467=138.30fps............................................................

for the 13second car 1320/13 =101.53mph *1.467=148.94fps...

if they both took off at the same time..then the 13 second car should be 10 feet in front of the 14 second car

I think.....i'm no math genius this might not even make sense lol...plus there are prolly a few factors i am leaving out.....

without acceleration, top speed is meaninless.

distance/time is meaningless without a solid distance to check against.

more so, a 14 sec car running 120 mph did one hell of a fucking burn out, stopped, and then ran the 1nd 1/8th in like 3 secs. lol :lol:

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jul 15 2004, 01:22 PM
without acceleration, top speed is meaninless.

distance/time is meaningless without a solid distance to check against.

more so, a 14 sec car running 120 mph did one hell of a fucking burn out, stopped, and then ran the 1nd 1/8th in like 3 secs. lol :lol:

exactly, there are way to many unknowns, and with a non linear velocity, it basicly cant be done.

Someone with an extremly good launch on slicks, may have a 1g of straight line accelartion right off the line, but he sure as hell not going to keep that rate up all the way through the quarter. If he did, by the time 12 seconds have gone by, he would be moving at 261 mph

Back