whats the easiest swap?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ciivviic

hey guys. im new here and to the whole honda swapping. whats the easiest swap that i can do in my 1997 civic? as of now the power plant is a d16y7 with an auto trans. i would prefer to keep it an auto due tho the girlfriend refusing to learn to drive a stick car lol. any help would be awesome. thanks, riggs

In all honesty? Use the swap money to buy a project car. Wrenching on your daily makes for a pain in the ass if you break something, get the wrong part, or just run out of daylight. I'm talking from experience on this one. You can get a good project Civic (or whatever you want) for the price of any decent swap. And make sure it's a 5spd.

Last edited:
But the EASIEST swap? Throw a Y8 head on it or swap the engine to a D16Y8.

Does your GF have her own car? If so, tell her "tough titties" and trade yours in for a 5-speed equipped model.

Honestly I don't see much point otherwise. The only way to make any sort of streetable and semi-affordable power on a D-series engine is to apply forced induction. The auto trannies that Honda offered for the D-series are meant for stock D-series power. Add 100 extra horsepower and shit's going to start breaking. The manual versions are quite a bit more stout...

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the information. Its not a daily driver. I think I'll just do the minni me swap or off it for a five speed. Thanks again guys.

auto y7 swap, i think that would be the easiest in your case
jk, jk

throw a y8 or z6 head and turbo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

auto y7 swap, i think that would be the easiest in your case
jk, jk

throw a y8 or z6 head and turbo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Y8 head and z6 bottom end? Should make a strong motor for a turbo. Most you maybe able to do in a stock y7 is 5-6psi, from my experience

in my opinion if you are wanting easy hp, just put a y8 intake manifold on the y7 and turbo it. other than that go b series.

bc in the d series world, when turboing the difference between the two is so minimum its not worth the effort.

Back