whats the general difference JDM vs USDM

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

treysawyers19

i want to swap either a B18c1 or B18b1 both preferrably OBD2 into my 98 honda civic DX. the question is what are the general differences between JDM and USdm engines besides the increase in horsepower for the Jdm engine. IS it a bad idea to convert my usdm civic to accept a JDM engine, or should i stay USDM? Many local shops keep trying to sell me a JDM engine without telling me what i would have to do get this engine up and running, and none have told me what the differences are besides more power. so please can someone help me, i know this may have been asked millions of times already

pretty much, the major few diffrences have to deal with power, smog, and what side of the car they sit on.

JDM engines will have slightly high compressions. Also, in some swaps, like the 98spec JDM ITR swap, the trans has tighter gearing. They had a 4.7 final drive instead of a 4.4 like we had here.

Smog- Over in japan, they have diffrent smog laws. Because of this, there engines do not have all the little smog devices we have. Not really a big deal unless you live in cali, where you would have to install all the aditional smog shit.

Seating postion. Since they sit on the other side of the car, the ECU on JDM cars is moved over to the left side of the car. Because of this, on JDM wireing harness are basicly backwards from the USDM ones. You can either lengthen the harness, or find a USDM one. For some engines, you can use just your Stock harness, and almost everything will just plug in with no wiring.

And that about sums it up, there are no major differences that affect them going into American cars other than some wiring usually.

I know exactly :D
how to wire-up the JDM 98 spec ITR
using the jdm harness and ecu
IF you need any help....

Thanks for the info. i still think im gunna get a USDM engine though. i want to buy the complete change over B18B1 engine package from HMotorsonline.com. im supposed to get everything i need to swap it right in. Mounts, axels, long block, tranny, ecu, plus others. i was gunna get the engine from this guy who owns a car dealership and he said he could get the LS engine for me. HE didnt, had me waiting almost 3 months for the shit. i should have had my engine in the car by now. anyway thanks again for the help

Back