Whats The General Rule Of Thumb For Hp?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Tonyd0821

Banned
what is the general rule of thumb for determining what the horsepower to the wheels is on a honda?

someone told me subtract 15% from the original hp (crank) figure to come out with a rough estimate of what the
hp to the wheels would be?

i.e. suppose a b16 (usdm) is rated 160hp. subtract 15% and you get 136 to the wheels?
i suck at math so if my math is wrong dont flame.....

Originally posted by karnash@Jun 6 2003, 09:56 AM

i.e. suppose a b16 (usdm) is rated 160hp. subtract 15% and you get 136 to the wheels?

that's just about right. it normally around there. i've seen a stock '99 Si put 140.1hp to the wheels. but then again that was the highest i've seen for a stock USDM B16.

the rule of thumb is you are not allowed to beat your wife with any object that is thicker than the diameter of your thumb :thumbsup:
:lol:

Same here. The numbers that I usually hear are about 14-17%, and those numbers are reflected in dyno charts that I've seen of stock setups. You'll reduce your drivetrain loss when you do things like install lighter flywheels, lighter wheels, lighter pulleys etc....

it depends on the car but most FWD cars have 12-15% loss RWD cars are 15-20% loss and AWD is around 20-25% loss

Bossman032 put out 144hp and 97.7ftlbs. on a basically stock which is about 11% so 'd say that the 12%-15% sounds good.

Originally posted by Calesta@Jun 6 2003, 03:43 PM
Same here. The numbers that I usually hear are about 14-17%, and those numbers are reflected in dyno charts that I've seen of stock setups. You'll reduce your drivetrain loss when you do things like install lighter flywheels, lighter wheels, lighter pulleys etc....

sooooo

would it be worth it for me to invest in a flywheel/pulley set up for a boosted y8 engine?

Originally posted by karnash+Jun 10 2003, 11:41 AM-->
@Jun 6 2003, 03:43 PM

sooooo

would it be worth it for me to invest in a flywheel/pulley set up for a boosted y8 engine?

flywheel yes. Pulley no, unless balanced.

Back