whats the problemw ith my motor

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

96civyhb

Hi I have a cx 96 civic hatchback whihc has been stock since i bought it. The motor wont start but it will crank and turnover but it wont hold started. its like it doesnt have good compresson. It will You can hear the starter when turning the key and fuel after a moment and there is no cel. it will start for like half a sec and then go back to the cranking sound if you hold the key in place. The motor has 100,000 miles on it and its not leakin anything and the oil is full. So I am wondering if there is a usual problem with these motors around this mileage. COuld it be the head gasket or piston rings? And if so whats the usual charge for that kind of work

lol I know that but I dont have the money right now so I want to know how much it would cost to get this fixed or if I should take the 600 dollars I ahve right now and find another beater or if it will possibly cost less than that to get it fixed. Please help guys.

Originally posted by turboB20hatch@May 2 2004, 03:50 PM
spend ur 600 bucks on a new sohc vtec motor and ecu

:werd:

Just go to the junk yard and take the engine out of a Civic EX. You could probably get it for like $300 with the ecu! Then you'd have a nice 130hp insead of 60 :p

or, he could do a simple tune-up like changing the plugs and wires, checking the timing, etc.. i dont know of any junkyards that you can get an engine and ecu(in running condition) for $300. most of em around me want 800 for a d16a1

Originally posted by Sobe_Death@May 2 2004, 07:37 PM
or, he could do a simple tune-up like changing the plugs and wires, checking the timing, etc.. i dont know of any junkyards that you can get an engine and ecu(in running condition) for $300. most of em around me want 800 for a d16a1

Yep your right and just for the motor they want 650 or so. I am going to check the compresion today and check the plugs, plug wires, and I dont know how the check the dist. How do you do that? I just dont want to waste 650 bucks on a single cam when in like 3 or 4 months I want to get a GSR motor. I could be saving for that swap instead.

Well I was finally able to get this car running and drivable. I bought all new plugs. wires and a battery and its running fine now. Well enough to drive for a while till I can get the motor swap done. Thanks for the help everyone.....B series swap and turbo soon!!!!!!!!!

Back