What's this? An electric vehicle that doesn't suck?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I found their website... these things start at only $18,700 for a 16 second one with the base model whatnots.

http://www.commutercars.com/

This looks like a prototype pic... check out the headlights and seats... lol. Civic!

DSCN1220.JPG.jpg

thats the T100
no where near the specs of the T600

T100 ($18,700 with $500 deposit)

T200 ($39,900 with $1,000 deposit)

T600 ($85,000 with $10,000 deposit)

and the T100 and T200 arent even designed yet.... the T600 requires assembly and im sure you will have to jump through all sorts of hoops at the DMV trying to get it registered for street use
far too much bull shit to be worth fucking with IMO

This car has not been designed yet as it will require a team of engineers, tens of millions of dollars, and at least 18 months to meet all of the safety requirements.

Production vehicles require investment in the tens of millions of dollars for engineering and tooling to allow reasonable part costs. Several investors with the capability of funding Commuter Cars to this level are showing serious interest, however, they need the assurance that there is a market for the vehicles at prices that are profitable. The only way to demonstrate this definitively is to have a large number of orders with deposits. Therefore, in order to show investors that there is a market, we're requesting that any of you who are interested in a production Tango, even if it's 2 to 3 years away, place an order now with a fully refundable deposit.

If I had 10g's laying around, and could come up with 70k more over the next couple of years, I'd DEFINITELY be interested in the t600... that is just a perfect car for my 40 mile commute every day... Hell, I sleep as soon as I get home after work, so the 3 hour charge would be cake, also.

thats gayer then shit

if i wanted a vehicle that tiny and that fast id buy a raptor

acura has a 400hp electric prototype sportscar thats sexy

it just doesnt make sence
with an initial investment of $10K you can get a used insight that will get you no less than 50mpg

now lets do some math

lets say you work about 50 weeks a year after vacation and hollidays (50 x 5 = 250)
so thats 250 days a year
now im guessing the 40 mile comute is round trip but i will add it up as each way (40 x 2 = 80 , 80 x 250 = 20,000)
so thats 20,000 miles per year commuting back and forth to work
figuring on the lowest milage you might get (50mpg) (20,000 / 50 = 400)
thats 400 gallons of gas per year
now we will figure on $3 per gallon for the 89 octane that i put in mine (again high estimate) (400 x 3 = 1200)
so thats $1200 per year for fuel (estimating high on the price and very low on the mpg)

lets say you get a 5 year loan for the T600 (70,000 / 5 = 14,000)
thats $14,000 per year not including any intrest on the loan
so over 5 years it will cost you at least 11.6 times as much to own a T600 than an insight
and you will have to plug the T600 in for 3 hours every 80 or less miles... the insight can go well over 500 miles on its 10.6 gallon tank (i have averaged as high as 73.2mpg over the course of the tank with mixed city and highway driving... that works out to just over 775 miles)

figuring 20,000 miles per year at 50mpg and $3 per gallon, you could fuel up the insight for 58.3 years, for what the remaining payment on the T600 would be

Yup..

But the tree huggers will love you for not jacking up their enviornment.. :wub:

Isn't that worth the extra 70k?

fuck the tree huggers
i didnt get an insight to save the environment
i got it to save money on gas
ive had to double down on my littering because i dont feel like im doing my part any more
:lmao:

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Aug 24 2005, 12:37 AM
it just doesnt make sence
with an initial investment of $10K you can get a used insight that will get you no less than 50mpg

now lets do some math

lets say you work about 50 weeks a year after vacation and hollidays (50 x 5 = 250)
so thats 250 days a year
now im guessing the 40 mile comute is round trip but i will add it up as each way (40 x 2 = 80 , 80 x 250 = 20,000)
so thats 20,000 miles per year commuting back and forth to work
figuring on the lowest milage you might get (50mpg) (20,000 / 50 = 400)
thats 400 gallons of gas per year
now we will figure on $3 per gallon for the 89 octane that i put in mine (again high estimate) (400 x 3 = 1200)
so thats $1200 per year for fuel (estimating high on the price and very low on the mpg)

lets say you get a 5 year loan for the T600 (70,000 / 5 = 14,000)
thats $14,000 per year not including any intrest on the loan
so over 5 years it will cost you at least 11.6 times as much to own a T600 than an insight
and you will have to plug the T600 in for 3 hours every 80 or less miles... the insight can go well over 500 miles on its 10.6 gallon tank (i have averaged as high as 73.2mpg over the course of the tank with mixed city and highway driving... that works out to just over 775 miles)

figuring 20,000 miles per year at 50mpg and $3 per gallon, you could fuel up the insight for 58.3 years, for what the remaining payment on the T600 would be
[post=544371]Quoted post[/post]​

See the difference about the insight and tango is performance. The stock insight doesnt run 12's, with a top speed of 150mph.

At the same time, the tango looks rather :ghey:

But if you read up on some stuff, they are projecting gas costs to be over 5 bux a gallon by the end of next year (early 07)

You need to make an exponetial in the gas prices for your price comparison.

Hell, Id rather pick up a 92-95 Civic Cx or Vx. I have a couple buddys with both. The CX is getting 60mpg, and the VX is gettin 50. I like the Eg's better than the insights anyways. Plus when you get tired of the economy, do a swap. When your tired of the lack of economy, swap back.

Calculate on that one...
Insurance would be mad cheap
Replacement parts are cheap, and redaly avaliable.
you can pick up a good runner for 1500-2500, rust free.

Oh another thing... What happend to what Mr bush's plan to drop gas prices, and Isnt this OCAP's fault (or whatever the hell they are called) for putting a cap on oil being imported?

Either way, My ass hurts from all this rape from the government latley. Im gona go put it on ice.

Originally posted by 5speed4life+Aug 24 2005, 11:49 AM-->
See the difference about the insight and tango is performance. The stock insight doesnt run 12's, with a top speed of 150mph.
[post=544510]Quoted post[/post]​

indeed but i can turbo it for under $1k and keep the 55mpg i am averaging now while dropping the 1/4 mile time to low 14s... and ive had my insight up to 113mph and to tell you the truth i wouldnt want to go much faster in it :)

Originally posted by 5speed4life@Aug 24 2005, 11:49 AM
But if you read up on some stuff, they are projecting gas costs to be over 5 bux a gallon by the end of next year (early 07)

You need to make an exponetial in the gas prices for your price comparison.

even if you figure the fuel price at $10 a gallon (400 x 10 = 4000) it still costs $10,000 less per year to own an insight over a T600

Hell, Id rather pick up a 92-95 Civic Cx or Vx. I have a couple buddys with both. The CX is getting 60mpg, and the VX is gettin 50.

i know people with CXs and VXs those mpg figures are BEST case senarios... but im sure it is still FAR more cost effective to drive either one than a T600

I like the Eg's better than the insights anyways.

jugement call... i like both... honestly i like my insight better,i think it looks cool (most people either love it or hate it), its not a "me too" car, and no one wants to steal it :)

Insurance would be mad cheap

my 00 insight actually costs me less each month to insure than my 93 del sol :shrug2:

Replacement parts are cheap, and redaly avaliable.

the civic definatly has the advantage there... i havent even seen an insight in the junk yard yet

5speed4life
@Aug 24 2005, 11:49 AM
you can pick up a good runner for 1500-2500, rust free.

not in my area :( assholes are still trying to get $3k + for them.... but the whole reason i compared a used insight with the T600 was because the initial investment of $10K was the same
and as a side note the insight will never rust :)

How cool is that.. a car named "The Alessandro Volta". I can't wait to put that on my DMV forms.

I love the Volta, as it is though. Would be nice for a future Supra.

Originally posted by Periculum@Aug 24 2005, 12:35 PM
http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/future/volta.html

Maybe its just me, but this hybrid from toyota is much better looking than anything else mentioned here.... No telling how much it will cost though
[post=544541]Quoted post[/post]​

indeed the Volta is a BEAUTIFUL car
IF it ever makes it to the street, id expect it to cost as much as a ferrari

Originally posted by Periculum@Aug 24 2005, 11:35 AM
http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/future/volta.html

Maybe its just me, but this hybrid from toyota is much better looking than anything else mentioned here....  No telling how much it will cost though
[post=544541]Quoted post[/post]​

Thats funny.. toyota.com/vehicle/future...

I'm going to try that at Honda.com to see when the new crx is coming..

**EDIT** that car is sexy.. Dead sexy for a hybrid, may get my vote for best looking.. But it is a hybrid. and it only gets 31 mpg. Damned good stats (400+ HP, awd, 31mpg) But it doesn't solve anything. You want power? Buy a '06 Z06.. those bastards have 500hp stock. You want Fuel economy get a insight.. They are trying for both worlds and it doesn't make since. What they have is a nice sports car.. and a crappy hybrid. Which adds craploads of weight.. which makes for a bad sports car.

Thats why I like this t600... No fuel, 1000ft-lbs of torque (wonder what the HP is??) and you can park it where no other car can park. Japan should switch entirely over to these, it would double their highway and parking capacity.. For us in the USA.. we have more room than we know what to do with.

Give me a car that is pushing 250 hp, gets 50+ MPG, and weighs 2500lbs or less. and doesn't cost a fortune. I would be giggly happy with it. It doesn't have to look like a super car. Hell, if it looked anything like a civic I'd be perfectly happy with it.

Originally posted by phyregod@Aug 24 2005, 12:08 PM
Thats why I like this t600... No fuel, 1000ft-lbs of torque (wonder what the HP is??) and you can park it where no other car can park. Japan should switch entirely over to these, it would double their highway and parking capacity.. For us in the USA.. we have more room than we know what to do with.
[post=544563]Quoted post[/post]​

Just because you don't pump dino-juice into it, doesn't make it "no fuel". Electric cars will solve nothing for us. Only with local power generation will we be able to say it's "no fuel". Shit like compost gasses, biking to generate, or recharging it at home with solar panels.

But according to CNN.com, the polar ice caps have only a few more years left, and the permafrost will unlock twice the amount of greenhouse gases and we're all doomed within our kids lives anyway. So drink up.

It's a performance car for rich naive treehuggers. ;) A new zo6 will perform better, and have a better range than that piece of shit. "cost is no object" remember?

Originally posted by Celerity@Aug 24 2005, 01:00 PM
But according to CNN.com, the polar ice caps have only a few more years left, and the permafrost will unlock twice the amount of greenhouse gases and we're all doomed within our kids lives anyway.  So drink up.
[post=544596]Quoted post[/post]​

I'm certainly interested to learn more about that.

Can you link it? I searched it, but only found "visions" of it, where cnn.com lets people write in whatever they want. Like the percentage of christians reducing to single digits, leading to global destabilization.. and worldwide destruction..

And someone learns how to "desalinate" water and saves africa.. Umm.. we can desalinate water now. And africa doesn't need to be saved.. You should go read a few "visions".. people are quite hillarious in their beliefs.

"20 years from now the USA will disolve and give way to a global community"

Originally posted by phyregod@Aug 24 2005, 01:08 PM
Give me a car that is pushing 250 hp, gets 50+ MPG, and weighs 2500lbs or less. and doesn't cost a fortune. I would be giggly happy with it. It doesn't have to look like a super car. Hell, if it looked anything like a civic I'd be perfectly happy with it.
[post=544563]Quoted post[/post]​

how bout:
152hp
150mph top speed
3.9 sec 0 - 60
1.98 lateral Gs
and a dry weight of 900lbs???

gets about 45mpg
costs about $45k

http://www.autobahn-motors.com/trex.htm

http://www.go-t-rex.com/

Back