What's tiny, green and makes people stop what they are doing ?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Quoted post[/post]]
and it weighs like 2 metric tonnes.

3200**

Changes gears fine with the uncle scotty's cocktail, and I wouldn't drive an automatic slushbox if my life depended on it.

Basically there's very few things out on the road right now that will hold up with my car, run as reliablely as a daily driver, and have the same overall performance.

...can't be happier.

Quoted post[/post]]
cocktail? is that like gearlube or something?

Its a cocktail of fluids that a guy on NASIOC, who's an Aero enginineer, formulated through some research and knowledge about the transmission and lubricants.

It includes 2quarts of Castrol Hypo-C, 1 quart Redline lightweight shockproof, and 1 quart penzoil synchromesh.

Basically it fixes most everyones transmission problems with the subaru unless there's something seriously mechanically fubar'd.

Fixes most everyone's grinds, makes shifts much smoother and easier to get into gear, and makes the transmission as quiet as a subaru transmission could possibly be.

After having the previous owner of the car take me for a test drive, I determined he was an excellent driver and knew what he was doing with a manual transmission. I, also, can drive a manual transmission as its intended. With that said, by 30,000 miles my transmission had no physical problems but was ever so slightly louder and first gear required more of a push than I would have liked. No grinds or anything of that nature, just the sound and a harder push into first because its doesn't have dual synchros like 2nd-5th have.

In short, the cocktail fixed this and made my car feel like it had an entirely new transmission.

good deal. i'll have to look into that :)

interesting to note though, my mirage tranny even with nearly 191K miles and all stock components (except mivec lsd) is like new :)

Heh... I've been driving the WRX since she got the Scion. I went out yesterday with my buddy with a Release Series 2 xB, and I had troubles keeping up.

Now before you get your flamethrowers out and start on me about my driving habits there are few points I wish to cover:

I call the WRX the Lagwagon.

The Scion beats it routinely, as do most Kias, off the line. It accelerates like Clayton's Legume until the turbo kicks in .. and it takes about 3 seconds to do that. So the Scion gets 3 car lengths on me easily off the line, then I'm hitting the brakes to avoid parking the WRX in his trunk.

Shifting a WRX takes finesse in all gears - But it's just like driving a Porsche, Lotus, Ferrari etc... These cars aren't intended for head-to-head drags. You hit the gas, bring up the rpms, clutch in and shift - The shift time in these cars may take you to idle everytime. If you keep the revs up and the boost on, you CAN make a great shift, but it's not easy, and it's not conducive to street driving.

I pulled out onto a main road a few days and nearly got broadsided by a truck that careened about a blind corner - I saw him in plenty time, put the gas down and waited. And waited. And waited and when the turbo finally got it's pressure, the truck was almost ontop of me.

the WRX is useless until you've sunk at least $2k into it.

The Scion is a far better car for daily driving, and it's looks - eh - you either hate or or you love it. It's not mine, it's hers.

Quoted post[/post]]
The Scion beats it routinely, as do most Kias, off the line. It accelerates like Clayton's Legume until the turbo kicks in .. and it takes about 3 seconds to do that. So the Scion gets 3 car lengths on me easily off the line, then I'm hitting the brakes to avoid parking the WRX in his trunk.

Get a fucking tune up. Either you got the world's worst WRX or you can't drive. You say that you've taken driving classes, so it must be the world's worst WRX.

I make boost in a friggin nano second on the stock turbo. Granted now its not a fair competition because I have uppipe, tbe, and a reflash, but I start to make boost at like 2300-2400rpms. I launch at 4-4.5k, yeah...instant boost.

Shifting a WRX takes finesse in all gears - But it's just like driving a Porsche, Lotus, Ferrari etc... These cars aren't intended for head-to-head drags. You hit the gas, bring up the rpms, clutch in and shift - The shift time in these cars may take you to idle everytime. If you keep the revs up and the boost on, you CAN make a great shift, but it's not easy, and it's not conducive to street driving.

LIAR. You don't need to powershift the thing to not drop the RPMs, or atleast every other WRX but yours you don't.

I pulled out onto a main road a few days and nearly got broadsided by a truck that careened about a blind corner - I saw him in plenty time, put the gas down and waited. And waited. And waited and when the turbo finally got it's pressure, the truck was almost ontop of me.

Is this thing stick because it sounds like an auto slushbox.

the WRX is useless until you've sunk at least $2k into it.

You're making me angry Steve. The WRX in stock form is a beautiful daily driver, when you dump $2,000 into it, you're going to start throwing engine codes and have to find the right people to work on it. It works great as it. Shit, its bad news when a FXT or Legacy LGT can blast most things on the road. Subaru is becoming a real force, and I don't even like it because now its making my car seem slower and driving the value of the old WRX's down.

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one.

The only way to get into my street driving skills is to get together and go head to head. I know what I'm talking about though. The WRX is a fast car, but not a head to head car (And I wasn't high RPM launching, I was just driving and following him through a neighborhood with stop signs.)

I will tell you this: I have owned 14 Supras and the WRX is in every essence, sans the 2 extra doors and plain-jane-ness that can only come with a bottom line car, the same exact driving experience as a 3rd gen NA Supra. Same handling, same off the line, same at speed. The Supra has a better trans in NA, and the Turbos are exactly like the STi.

Stock for Stock.

my buddys WRX (you know, the one that ive worked on) sucks. he ran it almost out of oil the other day. now his car that he owes... 11K on i think... has a good amount of extra "engine noise" you could say. it also needs o2 sensors.

before that, it blew tons of smoke out when he stomped on it. mods? vishnu up/down pipe (i put them on) and a hallman mbc.

the car has 60K miles on it. the interior rattles. the suspension is rusting. while there are no visible leaks in the engine bay, its also oxidized to hell.

lovely car, i must say. im with steve, though. the turbo is quite anemic at lower rpms, and the mirage beats it off the line. then again, i can launch EASILY at 5K rpms on my toyos with no bog. he wont catch me until about 35/40. forget about corners. even with almost new as430s on his car he cant touch my entry and exit speeds.

adding onto what steve says, unless its an STi its not a turning car, either :wink:

That thing might make people stop and puke, this this thing will make people stop and go damn what is that sexy little thing.

Lotus-Elise-Krypton-Green.jpg

Quoted post[/post]]
my buddys WRX (you know, the one that ive worked on) sucks. he ran it almost out of oil the other day.

So stop posting right there. He's a fucktard. He sucks, end of story. Run any engine without oil and find out how long it takes to seize.

before that, it blew tons of smoke out when he stomped on it. mods? vishnu up/down pipe (i put them on) and a hallman mbc.

Good, good. I'm glad he was sucking a ton more air into the turbo than stock and wasn't using engine management - thats incrediblely intelligent of him and really makes me wonder why his car was fucked up. Go read any forum and they'll tell you of idiots blowing their cars up with Stage II (i.e., his tbe and uppipe)

the car has 60K miles on it. the interior rattles. the suspension is rusting. while there are no visible leaks in the engine bay, its also oxidized to hell.

Funny, I've never heard of ANYONE having rust problems with a WRX. Subaru is known for poor quality paint, but not rust problems like hondas were known for.

lovely car, i must say. im with steve, though. the turbo is quite anemic at lower rpms, and the mirage beats it off the line. then again, i can launch EASILY at 5K rpms on my toyos with no bog. he wont catch me until about 35/40. forget about corners. even with almost new as430s on his car he cant touch my entry and exit speeds.

He can't drive. A fucking WRX can't beat you off the line in your mirage? Tell me some more bullshit. It should post some of the best 60 foot times.

adding onto what steve says, unless its an STi its not a turning car, either :wink:
The STi barely has suspension mods. Slightly stiffer springs, thicker sway bars, inverted struts, and far stickier tires. This makes the car a "turning car".

You guys really babble bullshit when it comes to WRX's and its tiring to hear sometimes.

A stock wrx with upgraded brake fluid, aftermarket pads, slotted rotors, a cheap set of coilovers (i.e. $850 for megan racing coilovers), and new tires will out handle a WRX anyday.

My coilovers will be in shortly, and then when I eventually install swaybars...my car will kill the STi in the handling department.

The huge differences between the STi and the WRX are the tires, the brembos, the extra .5L displacement, the turbo, and the transmission. The STi is a superior base by far, but you don't need brembos to be able to autocross and beat guys with much bigger brakes.

Quoted post[/post]]
That thing might make people stop and puke, this this thing will make people stop and go damn what is that sexy little thing.

Lotus-Elise-Krypton-Green.jpg

Just passed one in black, parked on the side of the road a half hour ago.

There's not Exiges or Elises around here.

Then again, we were in a ritzy area and saw a bentley and rollys royce driving around as well as the M3's, S4's, about 10 porsche boxxers, 5 porsche cayennes, new porsche carrera 4s, old carrera, and the run of the mill BMW's and mercedes.

It was pretty sick to see all those cars out on the road, since its a rarity around here.

Quoted post[/post]]

Not STis, Wagons. Wagons I feel turn better. The huge ass end start's it's slip, the system detects the slip and puts power to the rear. The STi requires the little finger knobby to do that.

How Dainty.

As far as WRX launches, the difference is clear. Chris (and my friend Ken apparently) didn't require any unusual amounts of prowess to get it to launch. The WRX does. I CAN launch the WRX fast as hell - hell I can chirp tires - but I can do the same launch with less in a DSM AWD or even an NA AWD like the Suzuki (Yes.. SUZUKI!)

As far as leaks in an WRX, doesn't surprise me. My gf tested a new, 10 miles, Subaru Baja and when we parked it it was pissing out coolant. (The dealer said "Well, you know, that's a demo model.. it gets beat on"). her WRX has a shaky main pulley that I'm sure is no good for the engine, and it shakes on the highway. The body is rusted under the plastic covers and the suspension is good, but creeky. The rear deck on the wagon picks up fine dents from using your fingers to close it (Let gravity close it). The steel is cheap and the interior plastics will become brittle in 10 years.

It's a shame that my ED6 is built with better quality materials. And it cost something like $8000 new.

Back