whats with the D series haters?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

yeah then theres my friend that ran 13.2 in a stock boosted ls in a eg. all he was running was nothing more than an fmu and missing link. i believe it was a t3/t4 hybird im not exactly sure. but it was a completely stock block in a full interior car. he was also running about 9lbs during his run maybe 10.

but yes u figure a 1.5g's for a turbo kit if u find one, and about 400 for an ls block. thats about 2 grand for a 13 second car off the bat. sure the motor isnt going to last all that long if not built right and if its run hard constantly. im all for d series but there just lacking in initial power. i have a y8 in a 90 hatch, sure its pretty quick but nothing close to what it could be with say, an LS vtec, or a gsr. one of those motors built right in my car could easily put me in low 13's possible high 12's. even if the motors are only midly built.

all these peopel are saying is that the b series is just a better plantform to begin with, stronger internals, as well as a better design. because comon i can smoke a gsr off the line with a sohc due to its low/mid range power. but then here coems the gsr and bye bye its over. i would personally perfer a wider power band, with the sacrafice to some low end power, but with a light car and a good driver it can all be over come.

now only if i could actually do an ls vtec but mr. popo had to pull me over on the way home from work the other day, so now im stuck with a speeding ticket up the ass.

Are you sure you meant 1500-2000 or 500-600? 2,000 seems like a shitload for a b series in a civic. And the b series motors are just better motors, the shitty thing is the price you pay for them, to each his own, I guess.

I just like the satisfaction of opening up the hood and seeing the other guy's face when he sees the SOHC. I don't need a 400 hp daily driver. 200 (ideal) - 250 (maybe tops) would be fine for me. Plus, I don't make that much, so the D-series is convenient and satisfying for me. :ph34r:

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@May 31 2005, 08:23 AM
no one says it CANT produce power.
it's just not cost effective in the long run.

you're better off starting with a better platform in the first place.
[post=505579]Quoted post[/post]​

Since when is modifying cars "cost effective" in the first place? :blink:

Originally posted by Battle Pope+May 31 2005, 11:12 AM-->
pissedoffsol
@May 31 2005, 09:03 AM
its not opinion --its fact. I6 , horiz opposed, and v12 are the only setups that are balanced designs.
[post=505638]Quoted post[/post]​

I know, dude. I just like my VH45 is all. Even if it IS unbalanced. :sniff:

With the 280Z I would have probably kept the L28e in there and turbo'd it, or done a turbo swap or something, but the engine bay wiring is all shot to hell. That and the rising prices of L28ET longblocks kept me from doing that. Plus, the L28 is a sohc engine. I was going to SR20DET it but I'd have to build it up to make good torque. An RB swap is cost-prohibitive.

The bad thing about the stock L-series engines is that in some cases it robs 50-75 hp just to rotate the camshaft. :p
[post=505643]Quoted post[/post]​

Wah I've seen L28s put down 500+ WHP IMO the L28 is one of the best engines ever made.

I've even heard of a few L28s breaking the 400K mile mark

on top of that its hard as hell to break the motors.

L28T rocks I miss mine =(

Originally posted by jeffie7+May 31 2005, 11:51 PM-->
Originally posted by Battle Pope@May 31 2005, 11:12 AM
pissedoffsol
@May 31 2005, 09:03 AM
its not opinion --its fact.  I6 , horiz opposed, and v12 are the only setups that are balanced designs.
[post=505638]Quoted post[/post]​

I know, dude. I just like my VH45 is all. Even if it IS unbalanced. :sniff:

With the 280Z I would have probably kept the L28e in there and turbo'd it, or done a turbo swap or something, but the engine bay wiring is all shot to hell. That and the rising prices of L28ET longblocks kept me from doing that. Plus, the L28 is a sohc engine. I was going to SR20DET it but I'd have to build it up to make good torque. An RB swap is cost-prohibitive.

The bad thing about the stock L-series engines is that in some cases it robs 50-75 hp just to rotate the camshaft. :p
[post=505643]Quoted post[/post]​

Wah I've seen L28s put down 500+ WHP IMO the L28 is one of the best engines ever made.

I've even heard of a few L28s breaking the 400K mile mark

on top of that its hard as hell to break the motors.

L28T rocks I miss mine =(
[post=506005]Quoted post[/post]​

I know the L28 is one of the hardiest engines ever, that's why I would have kept mine, but as I said the engine bay wiring is blasted to all hell. The engine I have going in it is carbureted so that removes a lot of wiring problems. If I had access to a fairly priced L28ET I'd jump on it, but I don't. On HybridZ I've seen numbers mostly in the 250-350 range, and those cars are getting mid-12 ETs. It's amazing what the S30 chassis can do with some power.

Originally posted by Callidus@Jun 1 2005, 01:14 AM
I just like the satisfaction of opening up the hood and seeing the other guy's face when he sees the SOHC. I don't need a 400 hp daily driver. 200 (ideal) - 250 (maybe tops) would be fine for me. Plus, I don't make that much, so the D-series is convenient and satisfying for me. :ph34r:
[post=505992]Quoted post[/post]​

lol yup!!!

Im so glad to see this many peeps that commented on my post lol ITS TRUE THOUGH LOTS OF PEEPS WOULD BE LIKE OMG ONLYA SOHC!! hah!

D-Series.org That's what I'm all about.
I can't see why I'd want to spend a couple grand on a B series with 40k miles when my motor is paid for and only has 60k miles. And for what? 30hp more? Call me crazy, but I'm going with the JR supercharger for $2250 that will give me more whp than a B16A2 swap and better tq/hp lines. Plus through a Zex cam, adjustable cam gear, and tune it with a VAFC and I'll be faster and cheaper than having swap. And if the motor fries, it's super cheap to get another one compared to a b series.
Long live my D16Y8. Autocross king in the making.

you all keep saying that you like d-series cuz they're cheap.... however, that's a good reason not to like them too. the d-series is a cost effective engine designed to go into an economy car. it's cheap and it's cheap, so it's cheap. everyone has their own goals and ideas. to each his own.

and that's the way the cookie crumbles.

p.s.- these are my OPINIONS.

Back