What's wrong with APC?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

EXtremeAccord

How is a 3-inch in diameter tube with a cone filter on it any different from any other brand name of it's kind? What's the difference between one brand of 9.3mm spark plug wires and another? And the same goes for sway bars... even though there I can notice some differences.

I dunno. Some of their generic stuff isn't so bad. I dunno if I'd buy plug wires or strut bars from them though.

For the most part intakes are intakes, and strut bars are strut bars. Sway bars are a little different as there can be tear outs where the sway bar tears out a section of your frame due to poor design, poor mounting, or just way too stiff. APC exaust have always sounded like, nuff said. APC "race" seats have less support than my stock DX seats. I had an OBX header on my miata, it seemed to be ok, I got it for free so i decided to try it out. My buddy however cracked his OBX header on his civic had it repair and then it cracked in another spot. Most APC stuff is just junky looking and junky in general.

As I say: APC = Always Produces Crap.

It's like those goddamn little sparker guns that you bought for 5 bucks when you were 6 that broke 5 minutes after you got home.

APC = AMERICAN PRODUCTS COMPANY

HONDA = not american product, you can get technical regarding US plants, but regardless, APC should stick to ricing neons and cavaliers

i would prefer no name than to have anything with APC on it anywhere on my car...

Originally posted by EXtremeAccord@Dec 8 2004, 09:45 AM
How is a 3-inch in diameter tube with a cone filter on it any different from any other brand name of it's kind? What's the difference between one brand of 9.3mm spark plug wires and another? And the same goes for sway bars... even though there I can notice some differences.
[post=428456]Quoted post[/post]​

gallery_36534_213_1102447318.jpg

the quality of teh wire used in teh plug wires ad the thinkness of the copper matters. strut bars, the way they mount to the strut tower, the welds and the strength of the metal they use is a big factor..... i wouldnt want a warped bar on my car. intake, the only thing i can think of is the filter, i only trust k&n, i wouldnt buy an apc one ever....

You need to save your money. Waiting two months is worth the 35 horsepower as opposed to waiting 2 weeks and gaining 5hp for half the money of the 35.

Originally posted by MaaseyRacer@Dec 8 2004, 06:05 PM
For the most part intakes are intakes, and strut bars are strut bars. Sway bars are a little different as there can be tear outs where the sway bar tears out a section of your frame due to poor design, poor mounting, or just way too stiff. APC exaust have always sounded like, nuff said. APC "race" seats have less support than my stock DX seats. I had an OBX header on my miata, it seemed to be ok, I got it for free so i decided to try it out. My buddy however cracked his OBX header on his civic had it repair and then it cracked in another spot. Most APC stuff is just junky looking and junky in general.
[post=428475]Quoted post[/post]​

apc and obx are the same company?

Yeah the one I always tell the guys at APC when i call is ALL PRODUCTS CRAPPY, in their defense however, there actually are worse manufactures out there especially in the accessory market, not that im into that, but it pays the bills

Originally posted by 93Fury@Dec 8 2004, 12:47 PM
Anyone know that JC Whitney bought APC!?!?
[post=428651]Quoted post[/post]​

When/where did you here this? APC sold 60% of the their company to a company called "The Riverside Company" They are somehow affliated with the largest distributor, Keystone, not exactly sure of the relationship. However, previous owner/ceo/arrogant asshole Brian Horwitz loaded the books and got owned recently. He is no longer allowed at the company and has to pay some amount (which I have heard different stories about) to the current owner. The company has gotten leaned out quite a bit, and they have been letting product go cheap as hell. We closed a 100,000 invoice for 10,000. The truck stuff moves preety well, but import shit has mostly died.

You know, I worded that wrong. JC Whitney is a major share holder now. Brian fucked himself royally. He sold Keystone, Pep Boys and a few more notable companies tens of thousands of dollars of product, telling them that they can return any undesired product for up to 6 months. He thought they would be able to sell all of it, yeah right, ina perfect world. So the company gets bough out, new owners come in, and day by day, the returns keep on rolling in. Must be nice to spend millions on a company to have matching reverse revnue coming through the door.
We sell alot of their tail lights to people that cant see the light of day, but it seem diffrent here with the truck stuff. People want top shelf truck items it seems, not the APC name.

i have an acp filter works good but then again how do you fuck up a piece of cloth

a cone filter is a filter short of going to no filter you wont see a huge hp gain. i love my apc sterring wheel it lasts 4 days in the truck before it broke and i got my money back

apc sucks. A filter is not just a filter. 2 things a filter is designed to do. That is make as much air go through it as possible, and trap as much dirt as possible.

There was a test of many diffrent filters. The top two were K&N and Apexi, resulting in the best flow and dirt trapage.

As for strut bars, stiffness and mounting location is key. A while ago, DC strutbars were horrible, and would actually bend with the littlest of pressure. I leaned on one in a 7th gen civic and with almost no pressure to it, it flexed. That does nothing for structual rigidity. Also, if the bar is hinged, its going to keep the strut towers from moving in and out, however will not stop them from moving up and down. Good brands are nuespeed, mugen, carbing, ect.

As for coilovers, they are designed like crap, will bounce all over the place, and give a shitty ride with zero performance.

A header is not just a header. Quality effects the performance and the realibailty a shit load. A hytech header has been known to give gains of up to 19hp on a basicly stock ITR. If a header is designed like shit it will give zero or 1 hp gains.

For seats. I would hate to be in an APC seat in a crash. Structual rigidy of the seat is key for safty. If a support in the seat give loose during a crash, you just got speared. A Sparco seat is certified, APC is not.

Back