1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

whats wrong with my b16

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by b164gen, Jul 14, 2003.

1. b164gen

b164gen Member

i have a 91 civic si hatchback, fully gutted, it does have 4 wheel disc brakes, it has a b16 swap in it non lsd, intake, header, exhaust, full msd, i weigh a bit over 250, the best i can pull out at the track is a 15.6 at 88 mph, so i went with some lighter wheels these did weigh 20 poundds each and was having so bad wheel spin and pulled out another 15.6 at 93 mph, these heavy wheels made almost 6 miles an hour difference top end, if i was to run another 93 mph what kinda time should i expect and do you all think something is wrong.....i am a really decent driver, help, and other times would be a big help

2. jeffie7

jeffie7 Wrong Whole! VIP

do you have the JDM SIR trans? SI trans? or LS trans? either way you are running really slow sounds like driver error unless your running a crappy ass ECU?

my first time ever to the track with a FWD car a 95 coupe with system heavy wheels JDM B16 88-91 WITH LS TRANS!!!! and intake/cat back exhaust and the wrong ECU I ran a 15.2 could not run better but was right at 15.2s almost every run

what RPM are you launching at? I like to spin my tires just a tad bit hondas tend to take off better that way also if you want try shifting full throttle just hold down the throttle and when time comes to shift pop the clutch in and shift gears then let it back up

I was running 15.2s using normal shifting then I blew a start and shifted full throttle and still managed to run a 15.2 so it does help a good bit

3. b164gen

b164gen Member

I have a good j1 tranny and pr3 ecu (the good one), im launching at 5000 with the heavy wheels and jumping out the hole (really good launches) and I can drive pretty well, im not power shifting, but still theres some type of problem

4. E_SolSi

E_SolSi Member of the 20 nut club Moderator VIP

20 lb rims??? what size are they???

5. JDMilan

JDMilan Senior Member

That fucking blows, sorry if my english is a little shitty but I am drunk now.

Here we go, You have a 1.6m, cool. make sure you have a S1 tranny on that fucker if it's cable which you should have. I ran a 14.3 with a FIRST gen b16 stock oem longblock on street tires. Improve your skills driving. start at the tranny first.

Milan

6. b164gen

b164gen Member

7. E_SolSi

E_SolSi Member of the 20 nut club Moderator VIP

20 lb 15s ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! :wtf:
    thats heavy as fuck
    drop some 10lb 15s on there with a better tire and youll shave a 1/2 second or more off your times instantly

8. SleEPeR_CRX

SleEPeR_CRX Senior Member

still, 15.6 thats brutal, with a 93 mph trap time u should be around 14.6-7 or so. something has to be wrong, can u feel vtec engage? does everything run fine? try doing a full tuneup, cleaning ur engine out with an engine cleaner, advancing the timing. and retry it.

9. JDMilan

JDMilan Senior Member

Put some lighter rims, 20lbs isn't light, that is heavy heavy heavy.

Get some light ass oem HX rims or some Kosei's, both are light and cheap.

Milan

10. b164gen

b164gen Member

im gonna get some lighter rims and i just did a tune up and when vtec kicks in it pulls really hard, ******* *with a 93 mph trap speed which i have run before shouldn't that get me in the high 14's ******

11. 91b16sedan

91b16sedan Junior Member

You should be running high 14's with that trap speed. I would like to know what your 60 ft time is? because you might not be getting of the line that well i run 14.7's in my 91 civic dx sedan with b16 and my trap speed ranges from 90-94 mph

12. lsvtec

lsvtec GNU/Linux Evangelist

Where are you running? If you are at serious altitude that time is not bad, it could be faster but it is a good starting point. At sea level that time sucks.

13. b164gen

b164gen Member

im below sea level im in new orleans La. here

14. kingwilly

kingwilly Senior Member

maybe its cuz you weigh a bit over 250..

15. 2fastaccord

2fastaccord Senior Member

Even at 250 a trap speed of 93 should be around a second faster than he is running. I see cars make it into the 14's at around 89 plus all the time in VA.

Peace*

16. b164gen

b164gen Member

well guys, i just checked my compression, and cylinders
    1,2,3 have 195-200psi, and cylinder 4 has 35 psi, and im still running 15.6's thats pretty good........so it's a 3 cylinder b16.....isnt that funny...
    so now it LS/VTEC TIME....................i guess it wasn't the rims, or me being fat or my driving skills..........but thanks for you guys help

17. Gen2Teg

Gen2Teg Senior Member

LS/VTEC won't help if one of the cylinders is still jacked up. Your using the same head for LS/VTEC, right? Why not just get a valve job? Take off the head yourself, send it to a shop, it'll run about $120.

18. odnet

odnet Member

lol, about the whole weight issue.. I used to be about 220, but I was so weight conscience about my car, I lost 30 pounds for the cause.. how did I lose the weight?

Rice Patties.. haha Rice. No just kidding, thought it'd be funny. I just bought a supercharger and couldn't afford to eat much for a week. Best of both worlds, ate less, got a 'go-fast' part and got rid of some weight!

19. b164gen

b164gen Member

im gonna go ahead and go through the head and replace and beef it up a lil, and build the bottom end...

20. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted