Whats Wrong With This Ghetto Turbo Setup?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

hondamidnighter

As i posted earlier on about a Teo4h turbo my friend put on his del sol leaking oil, well its about that setup. But let me start first how he got the idea of ghetto turbochargin his del sol.

It all started with his friend saying that he had installed turbo in about 4 different cars and had been success and shit. Well he brainwashed my friend and started telling him things what to buy. He had a Teo4h turbo already lying around so he used that because even tho the wastegate was set a 5.5 he cant go beyond 6psi on a fmu setup. Then a 12:1 vortech fmu, eclipse intercooler(modded to fmic), flexible ghetto charge pipes, flexible exhaust downpipe, hose lines, check valves, and miscelleneous crap ect. So okay the way the guy installed the turbo was buy using the flexible pipe off the cat from the exhaust manifold and into the turbo.

After that he ran flexible pipe out of the compressor housing and into the intercooler which is a 2" pipe. Which I think is too big for the pressure too build.
Well as ive seen he ran everything okay as far as ive seen other setups. Had a few problems with the oil line but got fixed and no more oil leaked.

But here is the problem, my friend and his "friend" are pissed because the blow off valve is not loud until past 4000 rpm. They said that its probably the boost is not building up. So they ran without the wastgate opening and still didn't get high boost. They checked for leaks and didnt find any. The turbo spools and everything but well Teo4h turbos aint are really good neither. We thought it was the exhaust but he has a 2.5 cat.

What i think is that he shouldnt run his turbo like on the example on top. Or his charge pipes are to big for 5.5. But how can the turbo not make more psi even with the wastegate not opening?? <_<

well, id say get a boost gauge- and see where it makes boost.

my turbo blows off under 0 psi (in vacuum) just due to the utter size of air that it pushes out.

honeslty, it sounds like you have some serious bosot leaks.

check ALL of your piping.

those ghetto bend-a-pipe things im sure leak

How is your engine performing N/A? Are all your cylinders firing?

Buy a spray bottle and fill it with water. Mist the air around your piping, IM, ect and see if it gets blown around. The fact that you are making 2ish psi at full spool suggests that the work is being done, but lost somwhere along the way. This would also suggest why you didn't gain any boost when you unplugged the wastegate.

The engine a a d15b7 or b8 not to sure. But if is a d15b8 could it be the engine? Because d15b7 pull more hp than the b8 does. The d15b8 has 8 valves and the b7 has 16valves. Put his engine is in pretty good shape. My friend had just emergency recently swap the engine because he messup the old one.(zc) Yesterday he came and my dad told me to use the spray water and soap method. But no leaks on the flexible charge pipes. Nor where the rubber connectors meet and join other tubes.
But what i think is that the there is to much charge pipe for that poor turbo. Its trying to blow boost on 2" , 10 feet long charge pipes including the intercooler.

10' of charge pipe!?!?! how the hell did your route it!

6-ish is normal.

figure, its like 3-ish for a CAI 2' for the ic and 2 for the hot side. where the other 3 feet coming frmo?

See the way he ran the turbo was by using flexible pipe tubing from the cat all the way to where the OEM Air filter box use to be. Then from there he ran the hot side of turbo right pass by the cv axle then straight to the intercooler then from the intercooler through where the water tank use to be all the way throught the back of the block and into the intake mani. So making the waste exhaust go through were the existing oem intake pipe use to go.

One freakin crazy setup just to keep the A/C system. :huh: :lol:

how the....

its an internally gated turbo... what part of exhaust gas does he even need to worry about?

but that has nothing to do with routing wastegate gasses.....

Well tomorrow im changin his fukin mind of his of keepin his A/C. Im going to tell him to do it the usual way. Right off the freakin manifold. :D

right off the manifold? wtf dude..

heres how it should be.

motor.head -> turbo mani -> turbo
from here, we split 2 ways.
-wastegate gases, downpipe gases
wastegate gases eventually get to the downpipe
and exit out the exahsut.
now, on the other half of the turbo, you have the hot pipe to I/C , and the charge pipe up to the throttle body on the other side.

its very simple.

OOOOOOOH! I think I get it!

It's like the sidewinders? His battery in the trunk and everything?

h22sw.jpg

I think he was running the turbo on the side of the car (where your factory aribox would be), but 2 flanges were welded on the end of some shitty, shitty bend-a-pipe so that it could be hooked up to the hotside and the manifold flange. Then some more bend-a-pipe was run from the DP flange to the cat.

Whoever would do this to their car deserves to have it stolen from them. That is completely stupid on so many grounds.

Yeah just Like that Sidewinder manifold. But on Del sols, you dont have to remove the battery. And well with all that bend a charge pipe i think the turbo cant take it to charge all them up! But now i change his mind and he is going to buy a turbo manifold to keep the A/C.

too much pipeing

you have way too much pipeing, so the compressor side of the turbo is only compressing the air inbetween the turbo and the intake, thats why your only getting 2-3 psi. I'm assuming the turbo is in good condition. I'll use this as an example, if you have a 20 gallon compressor tank vs. a 5 gallon compressor tank which will take longer to compress the air? its not rocket science. Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back