Wheel Bearing vibration?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

preludude

Do bad wheel bearings cause a vibration while at high speeds? I wiggled the passenger side front wheel and there is a small amount of play side to side. But there is no noise, I thought wheel bearings made a grinding noise while driving.

depends on how bad they are, it can be loose and make no noise. eventually the bearing gets worse and starts to make noise, and progressivly gets louder the longer you let it go, until finally sieizing and somtimes destroying the axle. your test, did you test from side to side? because sometimes you can get the tie rod play and think its bearing. or did you do up down? that is the better way to tell. i just replaced mine last week actually, mine had play but no noise. i replaced because i track the car and last 2 times it was teched the guy told me to replace it, so i finally did.

If it moves side to side, check your tie rod end. A lot of times a wheel bearing will make a humming sound, not necessarily a vibration. But my first guess would be you need to check the tie rod end. But it is still def. a possibility of a bad wheel bearing.

Thanks guys for the information. Yea, I dont' hear no humming or anything like that, it's just an annoying vibration at around 60mph. There is no play when I shake up and down so I would assume it's not the balljoints.

So is there a way to differentiate between a bad bearing and a bad tie rod?

if its around 60mph check wheel balance.

bearing you check for play by placing your hands at the top and bottom of the wheel and push with top, pull with bottom, alternate, check for play.
for tie rod ends, do the same, but place hands on the sides (horizontal, instead of vertical) and check for play in the same fasion.

Originally posted by B16@Jan 28 2004, 07:18 PM
if its around 60mph check wheel balance.

bearing you check for play by placing your hands at the top and bottom of the wheel and push with top, pull with bottom, alternate, check for play.
for tie rod ends, do the same, but place hands on the sides (horizontal, instead of vertical) and check for play in the same fasion.

werd

I have some play in my rear passengerside hub, and there is no noise or vibration even at 100mph, just an annoying squeaking when I roll backwards slowly.

Back