wheel bearing??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

need2bfaster

i replaced my rotors and break pads my axle is going bad so i do need to fix it but ... but some times when i hit the breaks the whole car shakes would a wheel bearing be capable of doing that or even the axle??

sounds like you need an alignment. to test the wheel bearings jack the car up so that the front tires are off of the ground. grab the top of the tire and push it toward the inner fender and pull it toward you. if it moves, your wheel bearing is bad.

I doubt the alignment is causing those problems. It's most likely either worn out suspension parts, a bad wheel bearing, or warped/improperly installed rotors.

The axle shouldn't cause any problems like that under braking, but usually under acceleration. Grab the wheel/tire assy. with the car off the ground like powerdriverh22 suggested, but try to move it both up & down and also side to side. If there is any play/looseness in either direction you have a worn out part somewhere. If so, have somebody else move the wheel around while you look and see where the free play is.

a warped rotor would do it all the time when i apply the breaks but i can apply the brakes 10 times it onlys shakes 4 or 5 outa the 10

Ok I see what you meant before.. sounds like something is worn out in the front end or a bad wheel bearing possibly. Check your radius rod bushings for wear that can cause vibration under braking.

Just in case you didn't know.. if you jack up the front end and try to shake the wheel back & forth both horizontally & vertically there should be no play/looseness felt. If there is have someone move it for you and take a a look at the suspension & wheel bearing area to see if anything is moving. If so that should be your problem. The radius rod bushings you will basically have to either inspect by eye, or use a pry bar to force the lower control arm back & forth to see if the radius rod moves.

Back