1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wheel spacer information please

Discussion in 'Wheels / Suspension / Tires / Brakes' started by seanjuan, Mar 22, 2004.

1. seanjuan

seanjuan Senior Member

I did a search on this forum and couldn't find much info on running spacers

I know alot of people do it for one reason or another and somepeople say they are just dandy and other don't like them

the reason I would run them is so that I can fit my SIR2 brakes under my HX wheels without grinding down the caliper at all

I know they with give me a wider stance and all and they will make my car look cooler (not important in this decision)

anyway what are the downsides of running spacers.... should I just grind down the calipers and forget about it?

thanks
    Sean

2. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

downside is that you run out of lug threads quick.

i'd run some real wheels. lol

3. hcivic.com

hcivic.com Senior Member

there are no real draw backs but run as thin as posible of a spacer and get longer lugs if needed

4. xj0hnx

xj0hnx I wanna be sedated VIP

With a 3mm spacer you should have plenty of tread left on your lugs, and clear any fitment issues you may have with caliper rubbing. Mine were rubbing the caliper, so I ground down a little off the saddle, but I ordered spacers too, they just haven't come in yet. The only reason I ordered them is because with all the luck in the world, I got one miss cast rim with a 3mm taller backspace so I have to get the others out so it tracks right.

5. seanjuan

seanjuan Senior Member

Don't be knockin the HX wheels <_<

anyway, I'm leaning towards just shaving down the caliper a bit to solve the problem just based on the cost of a good spacer. I don't really have alot of money to be droppin on stuff like that and I don't want to go with some crappy non hub centric things either

I guess we'll just have to see where I'm at once it gets warmer and how much I end up spending on the rest of my suspension upgrades

thanks for the input guys

6. cxjon

cxjon Senior Member

7. nfn15037

nfn15037 Senior Member

I use a 5mm spacer on my 13s for auto-xing. Been using them for a whole set of Hoosiers and they are fine. They work with stock studs, although I wouldn't go any more than 5mm before getting longer studs.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted