When B16A swaps go bad- need help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

steveshow

:confused: Where do I start? I swapped a B16A into my 91 Integra OBD0 car. The motor is a 1992 OBD1, so I knew I needed to swap the distributor to OBD0, which I did. I also bought an ECU that will let me run VTEC. I haven't put it in yet, I am just trying to get the POS to run. I am using the stock OBD0 B18A harness and injectors from the B!* that was in the car. I put a new timing belt and water pump on, new plugs before swapping the motor in. New plug wires and valve cover gasket on order. New cap and rotor, new belts, new hoses, new radiator (crack in the tank caused the B18 to blow the head gasket at 218 k miles. I have swapped a few motors in my time, mainly SB Chevys. (I dropped a 383 into my 79 Malibu three weeks after back surgery- stoopid) and this friggin thing is the biggest pain in my ASS! I have had to do just about everything two or three times, since it is ne new stuff (front drive, DOHC, fuel injection, etc).

To cut to the chase, I got it to run the other day but it would not idle on its own. I tried to take it easy and drive it around the block, and it quit on me, just died. Believe it or not, I was taking it easy, I think it quit when it shifted into second (automatic), I got it to 2500 RPM or so. I tried to resart it, it cranked over a couple of times, then would not turn over at all. I checked the battery cables, they are both tight, as well as tight at the starter. I did not "grind" on the starter excessively and overheat it or anything.

Just to be sure, I pulled all the belts, cover, pulley, etc and I double checked the timing belt, etc, and it had slack between the cam sprockets, so I turned everything back to #1 TDC, cams straight up, with the pointer on crank pointing to dot on oil pump, and it was still in time, but I got the slack out and buttoned it back up. I can turn it over by hand, so I don't think it bent any valves or anything nasty, but now it won't turn over with the starter. I tried to hook a piece of scrap #6 wire as a jumper from the battery post on the starter to the other connection, which should be the solenoid, and all it did was get super hot.

In the mean time, I bought a OBD0 VTEC intake and swapped it on, since it has the mount for the idle control dealy (real technical, huh?I could look it up but I'm too lazy)and more vacuum ports to hook up the vacuum crap. to try and solve the idle problem. I guess the starter went out. I turn the key on, hear the fuel pump come on, turn to start, nothing. I have checked and starters are around $125-$150 bucks. DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT WHat really SUX is, I bought this car for :snipe: $600, its pretty clean, bought a JDM CIVIC SIR2 clip with B16A for $850, (SWEET DEAL) and have close to $2k in it and have driven it about 100 feet!!! i wish gas wasn't so high or I would be driving the 383 'bu with that big cam, Brodix heads, 750 Holley, and 3.73 rear (but with overdrive, at least!!!

you also need to swap over the obd-0 injectors from your b18a to the B16. as for it turning over, sounds like you killed the battery trying to get it to start or a ground came loose.

Quoted post[/post]]
you also need to swap over the obd-0 injectors from your b18a to the B16. as for it turning over, sounds like you killed the battery trying to get it to start or a ground came loose.

Yeah, check your grounds. That is (In my opinion) the number one reason for starter failure. I warned my buddy about the grounds in his civic, and he didnt want to listen. On the way back from a road trip, i was followin him in my hatch. we pulled out of mc'donalds and all of a suddon i saw some nice green flames and alot of smoke from under his hood. He managed to catch his only ground wire on fire, and fried his starter. There was a big "I told ya so" comin from me as we tried to find the local parts store.

Anyways, back to the point... Charge your battery fully, Make sure you have good grounds, clean up the contacts, etc...

Double check your ignition timing and firing order.

Its usualy the simplest most basic stuff that will totaly screw you over. Mainly because you think to yourslf "Yeah thats good, i dont need to check it", or "I dont see how it would get messed up in the first place".

The firing order is the most common mistake i find with all my friends, when they do a swap without me. lol. I have been there enough personaly that i set aside my mechanics "Do it all right the first time" pride, and start from the basics again.

I had already swapped the OBD0 injectors on... How else would it even start?

Anyway, the starter problem was the wire to the solenoid was loose. all it has is a spad terminal that slips on and it was loose...

As for the engine running, I did not have it IN TIME!!! Just goes to show. like the previous post, even though you think you have it, TRIPLE CEHCK EVERYTHING!!!

Back