When do u shift?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i've seen efficiency builds on other boards.. some were doing 600 per tank and they were keeping their rpms strictly at 2.5-3k.

Last edited:
im a noob and dont know how to post new threads, but i got a question. I got a b18a1 swap in a crx. the transsmission wont engage in 5th gear. all other gears work fine, and the shifter goes into the 5th gear position, but it just acts like its in neutral. anyone got any ideas????

higher rpms don't necessarily mean it uses more fuel.

if it requires more TPS % in say 5th gear up a hill vs 3rd gear up a hill, you will use more fuel being in 5th gear, regardless of the rpm's involved.

Fuel used is all about engine load.

Exactly what B said. You'll use more fuel if you aren't in the correct gear. Just figure out where your car likes to be. For mine, it likes to be above 2500 rpm, so I shift like this:

1->2 @ 3800
2->3 @ 3600
3->4 @ 3500
4->5 @ 4100

then everything stays above 2500.

just so you know, that slows you down..

anyways.. wanna save gas? dont drive, haha..

just stay off the pedal and shift around 3-3.5k rpm
5th gear is blown

im a noob and dont know how to post new threads, but i got a question. I got a b18a1 swap in a crx. the transsmission wont engage in 5th gear. all other gears work fine, and the shifter goes into the 5th gear position, but it just acts like its in neutral. anyone got any ideas????

anyone have an si? i usually shift at 3k but try to have my constant speed around 1.8k - 2.5 k. u think thats fine? cuz like u guys said, if too low of the gear, the bottom end looses power and if too high of the gear, u burn more fuel for nothing.
:mad:

higher rpms don't necessarily mean it uses more fuel.

if it requires more TPS % in say 5th gear up a hill vs 3rd gear up a hill, you will use more fuel being in 5th gear, regardless of the rpm's involved.

Very true. Like I said, it's an over-simplification. Just generally, if you were attempting to tell someone who doesn't know much at all about cars, I would probably tell them that ideally, when commuting around town or on the freeway you'd want to shift around 3-4k RPMs rather than taking the car up to red-line every time you shift in order to conserve fuel (and also so as not to beat on the engine)...obviously there's exceptions, such as the one you pointed out...

Why is this so God-damned hard to understand?

1.) Go into the forum that you want to post in.
2.) Click the button near the top of the screen labeled "New Thread."

That's it. You're done.

anyone have an si? i usually shift at 3k but try to have my constant speed around 1.8k - 2.5 k. u think thats fine? cuz like u guys said, if too low of the gear, the bottom end looses power and if too high of the gear, u burn more fuel for nothing.
:mad:

vtec is my shift point, daily town. get up to the edge of vtec, but dont pop it. seems like it makes more efficient power above 2.5k. that's real low IMO

and yeah, look at my previous post. i've got the same gear ratio's as an Si.

vtec is my shift point, daily town. get up to the edge of vtec, but dont pop it. seems like it makes more efficient power above 2.5k. that's real low IMO

and yeah, look at my previous post. i've got the same gear ratio's as an Si.

I think he was saying that he tries to cruise around 1.8-2.5K RPMs, not shift around there...

right o. i'm just basicly saying, he needs to raise it all up. shift higher, cruize higher. he's operating too low, IMO. guess i wasnt crystal...

I've had my rev limiter taken out and ONLY shift at 10,000 rpm or more on stock internals. That's the way to go.:rolleyes:

Sweet you must have gotten the upgraded power band modifiers eh? I was going to get those, but my damn strut had to break.

taha

I had my flux capacitor re-modified and make sure that I add EXTRA blinker fluid to allow everything to flow smoother through the power band.

Proper tire pressure and a tune up. Put some fuel cleaner in once a month and don't drive like Nick Hogan.

Back