When oil squirters go bad

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

B16

Super Moderator
VIP
They do this to your block.
holeInBlock.jpg

Finally got around to breaking down the R block last night. The squirter had managed to embed itself into that large hole, I had to fish it out with needle nose plyers. I'm taking it to a shop today that thinks he can fix it, we shall see. I'll have to get all parts cleaned out that had oil in them, seems some shrapnel got into oil galleys as you can see some marks on the rod bearing. Also, my piston got beat up from the squirter coming out. :( Oh well, now to decide weather to go ITR pistons or CTR pistons. Might as well build this as a spec motor for Honda Challenge.

bearingPistonSide.jpg

bearingRodCap.jpg

crankJournal.jpg

piston.jpg

alloncart.jpg

Lesson learned, loctite them sumbitches of oil squirters when assembling. lol

looks like a good reason to start upgrading the stock parts to me. sucks it blew up but now you can get a real build going.

:)

I'll find out this week weather its salvageable or not.

Motor went a year ago, it has been sitting in my garage for a year, I just now had the motivation to tear it down and get to work on it. :p

better hope the block isnt toast, cause you passed on my offer to buy my block and now its gone

GSRCRXsi said:
better hope the block isnt toast, cause you passed on my offer to buy my block and now its gone
I was thinking about that yesterday morning actually. lol. update your sig if its no longer for sale. :p

If you're going to build it as a spec block, just delete the oil squirters. You don't need them- and pretty much everyone that goes big bore on a B block removes them. I know that I knocked mine off with the 85mm bore, so Intercrew just deleted them and installed block off plugs from Endyn. As long as you're running forged pistons- or coated pistons- you don't need the squirters. I don't know if the R pistons are coated on the tops and on the sides, but that's what you'll want to target. I don't know what your spec series rules are for piston choice, so you may or may not be able to coat the pistons or choose something different (higher compression) that you can send out to get coated.

Calesta said:
If you're going to build it as a spec block, just delete the oil squirters. You don't need them- and pretty much everyone that goes big bore on a B block removes them. I know that I knocked mine off with the 85mm bore, so Intercrew just deleted them and installed block off plugs from Endyn. As long as you're running forged pistons- or coated pistons- you don't need the squirters. I don't know if the R pistons are coated on the tops and on the sides, but that's what you'll want to target. I don't know what your spec series rules are for piston choice, so you may or may not be able to coat the pistons or choose something different (higher compression) that you can send out to get coated.
I considered that, it would be much easier to just patch the hole instead of re-tapping it. I MUST run an OEM piston. I know the ITR pistons have the skirts coated, but not the piston tops. We'll see if this guy is able to tap a new hole correctly (last block he did, i guess the squirter was not aimed right and the crank would hit it.) This time I gave him my mains and the crank, along with 3 surviving squirters to check clearances. Ultimately I think they do have their benefit on cast pistons, what is your opinion? If he can't get it, i'll just fill them and hope for the best.

They do have their benefit on cast pistons, but they're not necessary. Can you get away with coating the tops of the pistons? Will they ever check? After a few hundred miles you're not going to be able to tell anyway by looking through the spark plug hole.

I might do that, thanks!

Cheap too. You can get it done for under $150 if the prices haven't changed... less heat lost, more power, more piston life, blah blah blah.

i know someone local thats selling a GSR block for 600...
i don't know anything about it, just letting you know in case yours is toast

Thanks man. Guy says he can fix it, $200. We'll see how it turns out.

Just delete the squirters and run coatings. You'll save some windage losses, and instead of pulling heat away from the pistons by spraying them with power robbing oil, you can keep the heat in the combustion chamber and make more power.

:)

Back