When to get my first oil change ...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

easyheimer

I just bought a 2006 Chevy Cobalt a little over 2 months ago, and im just wondering when i should bring it in for it's first oil change cause its complimentary. I'm getting mixed answers, and i thought maybe you guys would know.

and GM says 5k for that car :ph34r: what does that tell you.

Its got an OLM on it...why ask?

I'd honestly change it at 1000 miles. And keep dino oil in it for a few oil changes before switching to synthetic, if you plan on making the switch.

Moved to General Tech and Maintenance.

No need to change it at 1000 miles. Our cars come in on the average of 4000-5000 Miles so wait until then.

Quoted post[/post]]
and GM says 5k for that car :ph34r: what does that tell you.

Its got an OLM on it...why ask?

Where did you find 5k? And i ask because my brother accidentally took my manual up to school with him and he isnt coming back for a while so i just needed to find out when to get the oil changed.

so its 5k for first oil change?

Quoted post[/post]]
No need to change it at 1000 miles. Our cars come in on the average of 4000-5000 Miles so wait until then.

I'd never wait that long, not even on an automobile engine. lol, I changed my R6's oil at 500 miles, and it had ALL kinds of break-in grit in it. After that initial change, it looked fine.

A girl at work bought one last year and she said the owners manual said 5k. Thats hearsay so still look it up. I agree with what mike and the rest say about changing it early. You still have an Oil Life Monitor though, so after you change it the first time, youre good.

yeah, well im at about 2500 now, so ill bring it down this friday to get it changed.

eh Mike the General Tech section is general tech for honda related problems, no Chevy's. IMO this should have been moved to "other vehicle discussion"

change the oil like the manual or dealer says, nuff said.

meh, I'm talking about first oil changes in general. I'll do the same thing if I ever buy a new honda, or anything, period.

Back