When to shift

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I disagree. Lots of tire spin means that you are doing it right</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>If someone wanted to know any of this information, why not just look at your speed as you shift?

Because then more people would be putting it in the ditch...

yes this works for all the gears

for launch just hold the clutch and gas pedal to the floor when it hits the rev limiter count to 10 and dump the clutch, this will get you your best possible launch (this is the trick the magazines use to get their test results)
if you find you are getting a lot of wheel spin when launching like this, you need to warm up the tires more... for a FWD car the best way to do this is to put it in reverse, cut the wheel all the way to the right or left, stomp on the throttle using the same rev limiter 10 count that you want to use for the launch, then dump the clutch and count 10 full revolutions of the car, when finished turn the wheel the other way and repeat the process... after this your tires will be properly warmed up and you should get a sweet launch
if you are still spinning a lot on the launch you may need a wider and softer tire

WOW took this advice and it worked to perfection! I thought it felt like a rocket the first time i tried it! Only this time I did it for a street race in the middle of rush hour traffic for pink slips! Totally won an EVO VIII that guy had no idea what he was facing!

IMO, this way is wrong as well. You don't come up with your shift points by looking at your speedometer...

You get your fucking car on the dyno, see where the power band is, then figure out the shift point that allows you to stay in your power band.

:werd:

WOW took this advice and it worked to perfection! I thought it felt like a rocket the first time i tried it! Only this time I did it for a street race in the middle of rush hour traffic for pink slips! Totally won an EVO VIII that guy had no idea what he was facing!

awesome :thumbsup:

happy to help :)

yeah i wish i would have started driving like this at 16! wow ran 11's all day bouncin off limiter! usually run 21's driving my original way! thank god for this forum it has given me more knowledge on "when to shift" then i could have ever imagined!

I just launch in 5th gear. No shifting necessary :)

Set your VTEAACH at like 500rpm, that way your always have that MAD JDM TYTE VEETACH HITTIN Y0!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!!!!!11
get the pilot racing wheel from autozone for $130(but it has to be the one with the NOS buttons)
bring that shit home and install it,then run a wire from the nos button to the vtec wire,INSTANT VTEC ACTIVATION,combined with rev limiter for 10secs..def. nets you consistent 9.3's

get the pilot racing wheel from autozone for $130(but it has to be the one with the NOS buttons)
bring that shit home and install it,then run a wire from the nos button to the vtec wire,INSTANT VTEC ACTIVATION,combined with rev limiter for 10secs..def. nets you consistent 9.3's

Im going to Autozone right now.

some funny shit going on here^_^, but seriously if your tach and speedometer are synchronized you can shift without your clutch.

also called floating the clutch.

I heard that pouring some cheap vodka in the gas tank would make your car perform like it was an alcohol blown car. I am going to try that and see if I can run 8's instead of 9's with this method.

I run sailor jerry all day. Fried my clutch cause it just can't take the power!

some funny shit going on here^_^, but seriously if your tach and speedometer are synchronized you can shift without your clutch.

also called floating the clutch.

Do you mean rev matching and shifting without the clutch. If that's the case, then say bye-bye to your syncros

Do you mean rev matching and shifting without the clutch. If that's the case, then say bye-bye to your syncros

When you rev match it doesnt use the sychros, a lot of older cars dont even have synchros, so its a must to rev match, even when using the clutch.

When you rev match it doesnt use the sychros, a lot of older cars dont even have synchros, so its a must to rev match, even when using the clutch.

I know what rev matching is/does, I'm assuming that's what was meant by "matching the speedo to the tach"

I don't understand the appeal of clutchless shifting. Rough on the trans, plus, if you are looking to get the best times, why not full throttle shift?

Back