When to tune

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Dark93DX

Is it necessary to have an engine tuned if all that is done is a bump in compression.

I plan on building a b18/b20 bottom end with eagle rods and forged pistons this summer with a 10:1 or 11:1 CR for now and then down the road if I want more cam then I'll add some crowers and head work.

so with just the bottom end built would it be necessary to tune the engine or should I wait until I do the cams in the future and then have the car tuned?

Thanks,

my nearest tuner I've found so far is about 4 hrs away over the mountains, would it be alright to drive there on the stock LS ECU after the engine break-in period?

Thanks for the help Blanco. Would most tuners have their own crome or hondata systems? b/c there is a local shop that has a Dyno but they told me they only do a 5 gas analyzer and/or wideband O2 readings so I'm not sure if thats gonna help me at all?

I could bring my own laptop w/ crome, but I obviously don't know much about tuning.

Not if you want the engine to last the trip. I wouldn't even recommend breaking it in with the stock ECU. At least have someone knowledgable burn you a basemap. This is a highly respected tuner and I believe he offers basemaps; Rage Racing's Online Store : ExtCart

Just outta curiousity, if I went the B20vtec route (w/ GSR ECU) instead, would your answer still be the same or would the GSR ECU work for the break-in period?

so if I have a proper basemap burned, would that be good enough to drive the car to the tuners, 4hrs away or should I just get it towed there ($$$ ouch)?

Back