1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When to tune

Discussion in 'ECU's, Electronics, and Tuning' started by Dark93DX, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Dark93DX

Dark93DX New Member

Is it necessary to have an engine tuned if all that is done is a bump in compression.

I plan on building a b18/b20 bottom end with eagle rods and forged pistons this summer with a 10:1 or 11:1 CR for now and then down the road if I want more cam then I'll add some crowers and head work.

so with just the bottom end built would it be necessary to tune the engine or should I wait until I do the cams in the future and then have the car tuned?

Thanks,

2. Dark93DX

Dark93DX New Member

my nearest tuner I've found so far is about 4 hrs away over the mountains, would it be alright to drive there on the stock LS ECU after the engine break-in period?

3. Dark93DX

Dark93DX New Member

Thanks for the help Blanco. Would most tuners have their own crome or hondata systems? b/c there is a local shop that has a Dyno but they told me they only do a 5 gas analyzer and/or wideband O2 readings so I'm not sure if thats gonna help me at all?

I could bring my own laptop w/ crome, but I obviously don't know much about tuning.

4. Dark93DX

Dark93DX New Member

Just outta curiousity, if I went the B20vtec route (w/ GSR ECU) instead, would your answer still be the same or would the GSR ECU work for the break-in period?

5. Dark93DX

Dark93DX New Member

so if I have a proper basemap burned, would that be good enough to drive the car to the tuners, 4hrs away or should I just get it towed there ($$$ ouch)?

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted