Where can I buy parts to build a motor from scratch?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Kaosü

I'm trying to put together a motor myself from scratch I want to start with a D series where can I shop other than eBay and Amazon. Upgraded parts would be nice too instead of just going stock.

Welcome to hondaswap, what dseries were you interested in building ? a block is the place to start and depending on goals stock parts may be fine, what year civic would it be going in ?

Welcome to hondaswap, what dseries were you interested in building ? a block is the place to start and depending on goals stock parts may be fine, what year civic would it be going in ?

Thanks for the welcome and I want to go with a D16. The first Honda I ever owned was an EJ Coupe and it had a D16Z6, I'm thinking I want to get another EJ but I want to build my own motor and drop it in, either that or an EF but first I wanna start with the motor and transmission.

I hear ya bud, id start with getting a car first personally but if a ef id find a d16a6 or dohc zc (my fav) and are super easy to build and work on and any cable ef 5 speed trans is fine 89-91

how from scratch are you talking here?
and what are your end goals for this build?
know upfront that this build will NEVER be worth what you will have in to it by the time it is finished and the only value would be sentimental

Well I can get a shell that's no problem and yes I know it would only be sentimental value, this build will be mine and my sons. I think I would rather start off with a single cam though then eventually begin working on a dual but like I said this will be a father son build.
What I want to know is if I should pull a motor from the Junk Yard or try my luck on Craigslist hoping I don't get jipped into buying a blown motor.
Its a risk either way but if I can't find someone who has a good one then I would have to take a chance.

Well I can get a shell that's no problem and yes I know it would only be sentimental value, this build will be mine and my sons. I think I would rather start off with a single cam though then eventually begin working on a dual but like I said this will be a father son build.
What I want to know is if I should pull a motor from the Junk Yard or try my luck on Craigslist hoping I don't get jipped into buying a blown motor.
Its a risk either way but if I can't find someone who has a good one then I would have to take a chance.

Like E said, figure out where you are going with the project first and then we can recommend. If you are going to build a show car that's a trailer queen, a road track car, drag racing car, or just a spirited daily driver, the suggestions will be different for all of them. If you don't have a specific goal in mind you're going to waste a lot of money, and more importantly, wrench time, on the wrong projects.

How old is your son? IMHO, if he's anywhere close to old enough to drive, your most enjoyable project will be getting the car on the road and tinkering with it once it runs. Spending a year building an engine will really sap the fun out of the project.

If I had a son, I would get a car with a clean body and reliable engine. Let him learn how to drive before upgrading the engine. We would work on the engine on the side and wait until he's responsible and reward him with the engine. I would want to make a reliable daily driver and possibly road course ready. I would buy a B16 or B18 swap from a reliable seller and put it on an engine stand. Work together to replace all the gaskets, pumps, etc. Maybe work on the cams or turbo if going that route.

Again, it's just my opinion, but if you get him a driveable car and upgrade the brakes, tires, suspension, he'll be a better driver before even needing the engine. If you've never seen the show "Initial D", they have a good concept for upgrading the engine once they learn how to drive.

Well pretty much a spirited driver he's 5 and he's in love with Honda as much as I am he always talks about when will I be getting another Honda like the one I had before (EJ Coupe) & wipp it be his when he's older he says he likes the turbo but I want to start N/A first then work our way up. I know it seems a bit weird to start now especially since he's so young but he asks about Hondas when I play racing games with him, but this motor will only be installed after he gets the feel of the stock motor like I said I can get a shell no problem and as for another car well I can buy a cheap fixer upper from Craigslist but he likes the EJ. Eventually when he's older we will build a track car but meantime I want him to learn now so he can get the concept as he grows up.

Here's why we ask about end goals. If you build an N/A motor, you're buying pistons, cams, exhaust, header, etc. for a system that's all going to be replaced if you add a turbo. It's a completely different build. A lot of great racers get started with home builds and race before they even have a license. Also, when you say "from scratch", it could me bare block and head or complete long block. Again, I would pick a route to go (turbo) and buy a running long block with decent compression. That way I know the engine isn't going to be crap once I start tearing it apart. With unlimited funds, I'd walk in to a Honda dealer and buy everything. Otherwise, I'd shop the reputable motor dealers or just buy a wrecked salvage that runs.

Here's why we ask about end goals. If you build an N/A motor, you're buying pistons, cams, exhaust, header, etc. for a system that's all going to be replaced if you add a turbo. It's a completely different build. A lot of great racers get started with home builds and race before they even have a license. Also, when you say "from scratch", it could me bare block and head or complete long block. Again, I would pick a route to go (turbo) and buy a running long block with decent compression. That way I know the engine isn't going to be crap once I start tearing it apart. With unlimited funds, I'd walk in to a Honda dealer and buy everything. Otherwise, I'd shop the reputable motor dealers or just buy a wrecked salvage that runs.

I get you well, if that's the case then I guess turbo will be the route then, so if I'm going to start a turbo build am I going to need a different transmission or just upgrade the original one as well?
I want it to be all perfect synced altogether. So I'm guessing single cam wouldn't be a good buy? Keep in mind other than basic mechanics me and my son will be learning together about upgrades and stuff like that. I just want my son to see that once we start this it'll be a work in progress but something that will be worth it in the end, and something he will be proud to own when he's of the age to use it. His reward will be that but he has to drop it in himself of course I'll be there to help as well.
Eventually we both will have matching civics somewhat, I want EF and he wants EJ but I know as he gets older he will have other tastes.
Besides living in Idaho there really isn't anything better to do in my opinion especially since we're both into cars and all we do is watch street racing videos on YouTube.

Last edited:
I get you well, if that's the case then I guess turbo will be the route then, so if I'm going to start a turbo build am I going to need a different transmission or just upgrade the original one as well?
I want it to be all perfect synced altogether. So I'm guessing single cam wouldn't be a good buy? Keep in mind other than basic mechanics me and my son will be learning together about upgrades and stuff like that. I just want my son to see that once we start this it'll be a work in progress but something that will be worth it in the end, and something he will be proud to own when he's of the age to use it. His reward will be that but he has to drop it in himself of course I'll be there to help as well.
Eventually we both will have matching civics somewhat, I want EF and he wants EJ but I know as he gets older he will have other tastes.
Besides living in Idaho there really isn't anything better to do in my opinion especially since we're both into cars and all we do is watch street racing videos on YouTube.
Yeah, Idaho is brutal. I'm originally from Oregon and I lived in SLC from 2000-2003, there's nothing out there.

Most everything you want will be available online and have shipped to you. You won't need a new transmission, but if you're building a monster, you'll want to add an LSD and look at the gear synchros. You can build a single cam or dual cam, it really depends on your goals. I don't know anybody who has a goal for top power that prefers a single cam. Most people I know that still do single cam is out of novelty. People also have differences in what they consider a "perfect engine". To me, if I was to build another road course car, I'd probably just do an ITR swap with a super charger. Pure pedal power and throttle response. If you want to run a 10 seconds 1/4 mile, you'll want a turbo with a bulletproof bottom end. The list goes on.

If i had a 5 year old into cars, i'd get him into Kart racing instead.
Agreed. Being a driver>>>>>>>being a mechanic. lol

i dont thinks so

Back